Video trashing EPA stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid is as stupid does. A line from the movie Forrest Gump that seems to fit well. If I kept the door open that long with a N/S load like that with my dry wood, it would be totally engulfed in flame. I don't dare open the door once it gets going. He keeps going on about "double wall, keeps the heat in" and complains about not being able to make his single wall smokepipe cherry.

I bet the inside of that stove is blacker'n black. If it really kept the heat in, it would be light tan like the inside of my stove.

Oh, as for the label not burning off, I did all my own copper plumbing and was amazed how the barcode labels on the fittings survive the soldering torch.

It is clear this guy is burning wet wood and has no clue what he is doing. But looking at some of the other videos, what is the deal with the waste vegetable oil being dripped into stoves?

Well, some people here tried to reason with him. his responses show that he has it all figured out and he just needs to convince everyone else that they are wrong. Hearth helps those who help themselves.

Someone needs to get him to sign up here so we can get him sorted out! I'm 100% sure we can get him burning right if his chimney is set up properly and he's willing to listen. :lol:

precaud said:
oldspark said:
Not too hard to believe his ignorance, what's hard to believe is he shows it off to the world!

"Militant ignorance" is fashionable these days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Thanks for the link Precaud, it's nice to see such bias recognized and studied--it is certainly prevalent and pernicious. :)

There's an interesting quote in that article:

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." -- Bertrand Russell

Agreed, RG. And this one: "Competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding."

I remember years ago reading a book called "The Wisdom of Uncertainty". Can't remember the author. It didn't stop the constant self-questioning, but it made me feel better about it. :)

RenovationGeorge said:
precaud said:
oldspark said:
Not too hard to believe his ignorance, what's hard to believe is he shows it off to the world!

"Militant ignorance" is fashionable these days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Thanks for the link Precaud, it's nice to see such bias recognized and studied--it is certainly prevalent and pernicious. :)

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." -- Bertrand Russell
I consider myself a lot smarter than the normal stupid person because I know I am stupid.

precaud said:
Agreed, RG. And this one: "Competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding."

I remember years ago reading a book called "The Wisdom of Uncertainty". Can't remember the author. It didn't stop the constant self-questioning, but it made me feel better about it. :)

Amen, I'm sure we could talk volumes on the topic.

The more I learn, the more I realize how destructive and unavoidable bias is. We all become "true believers" in many conscious and subconscious ways, and unconsciously change our perceptions to match our beliefs, not the constructive opposite.

It's unavoidable, and the best we can do it be aware and try to compensate. One of my compensation strategies, much in evidence here, is to state my beliefs explicitly and debate them, no matter how foolish that may make me look. If I get enough contradictory evidence I'll change my mind, even though that may make me look even more foolish.

"To become wise one has to be willing to look foolish."

So, stay embarrassed, but know it's the best practice. :)

Wet Wood + No Knowledge = No Heat

oldspark said:
I consider myself a lot smarter than the normal stupid person because I know I am stupid.

And, to the extent that we remember we're stupid, we are. :)

One of the hardest things about wisdom is knowing what you don't know.

RenovationGeorge said:

Summarized in my sig. One of these days I need to read some complete works by Russell.

BeGreen said:
RenovationGeorge said:

Summarized in my sig. One of these days I need to read some complete works by Russell.
BG, while I wouldn't want to be the one to argue with your OTHER quote (the one by Mark Twain) it's kinda opposite to something I tell kids when I counsel them. I suppose it's not that I disagree with MT, it's more that one should stop and think about things when they find themselves on the side of the minority, TOO. I always use the made up story, that if you walk around all day and all the people you meet tell you that your new haircut looks stupid, then it would be weird for you to just assume that everyone else is wrong and that your hair actually looks cool.

I guess my point is that if everyone is saying EPA stoves are better, and you think everyone is wrong, then maybe you should be evaluating your stance. Apparently, Mark Twain would say that we all need to really consider what this guy is saying. we are the majority in this case, after all...

BeGreen said:
RenovationGeorge said:

I hoped you'd pick up on that.

Danno77 said:
Well, some people here tried to reason with him. his responses show that he has it all figured out and he just needs to convince everyone else that they are wrong. Hearth helps those who help themselves.

When the student is ready, a teacher appears. --Zen Proverb

and a favorite:

Truth out of season bears no fruit.

Danno77 said:
BeGreen said:
RenovationGeorge said:

BG, while I wouldn't want to be the one to argue with your OTHER quote (the one by Mark Twain) it's kinda opposite to something I tell kids when I counsel them. I suppose it's not that I disagree with MT, it's more that one should stop and think about things when they find themselves on the side of the minority, TOO. I always use the made up story, that if you walk around all day and all the people you meet tell you that your new haircut looks stupid, then it would be weird for you to just assume that everyone else is wrong and that your hair actually looks cool.

I guess my point is that if everyone is saying EPA stoves are better, and you think everyone is wrong, then maybe you should be evaluating your stance. Apparently, Mark Twain would say that we all need to really consider what this guy is saying. we are the majority in this case, after all...

Read it again. It just says that it may be time to pause and reflect, not that the other opinion is wrong. I see this as being careful to not become a sheep. Saved me from buying into several mass deceptions like the dot.com boom and recent real estate bubble. When the media is getting its shorts in a knot over Elian Gonzales, Terry Shiavo or a mosque in NY, it's time to pause and think a bit about who is behind all the hooplah. Or more particularly, who has what to gain.

LLigetfa said:
If I kept the door open that long with a N/S load like that with my dry wood, it would be totally engulfed in flame. I don't dare open the door once it gets going.
You can see the smoke rising lazily off the wood. That stack has got virtually no draw.
The red oak split on top of the stove looks soggier than some of mine...I didn't think that was possible. I know that look; Sap wood rotted off from lying outside in log form, heart wood red as a beet from being split three months ago. :lol:

Hiram Maxim said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/spartaeus#p/u/0/CMJmXAo_Tx4

Looks like he found some dry wood? :gulp:
He comments that it still does not put out the heat of his old stove, sorry to say I agree with him on that, my new stove does not put out the heat of the old stove, the new one uses less wood though so I am not as crazy as he is. :cheese:

Hiram Maxim said:

I'd like to see him put his hand on it now!

Only thing I can figure is he wants a stove that will glow cherry red in minutes after loading wood so he knows it's hot.

Is the 30 more of a radiant or convection heater? Maybe he needs a blower to help move the heat away from the stove. My stove with all the shielding will only radiant off the front/top. I can just about hold my hand to the side during the peak part of the burn due to all the shielding, that's what I wanted so that's what I bought.

Hiram Maxim said:

There is an old saying that reminds me of him...It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot then to speak and prove it to them. Seems like his new video is his way of shouting to the world.

boatboy63 said:
Hiram Maxim said:

There is an old saying that reminds me of him...It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot then to speak and prove it to them. Seems like his new video is his way of shouting to the world.
I can't believe he is getting secondaries like that and still thinks his older stove was hotter and used less wood. Part of me wonders if he was just running the old stove balls to the wall and hitting temps like 800 all day long. If that was the case, then, I can't figure out why he would have used less wood...

Danno77 said:
boatboy63 said:
Hiram Maxim said:

I can't believe he is getting secondaries like that and still thinks his older stove was hotter and used less wood. Part of me wonders if he was just running the old stove balls to the wall and hitting temps like 800 all day long. If that was the case, then, I can't figure out why he would have used less wood...
If his old stove was hotter, I am beginning to wonder if he had bought a salvage nuclear reactor from TVA and was using it for his stove.

boatboy63 said:
Danno77 said:
boatboy63 said:
Hiram Maxim said:

If his old stove was hotter, I am beginning to wonder if he had bought a salvage nuclear reactor from TVA and was using it for his stove.
My old stove put out more heat than my new one, why is that so hard to believe?

When I was a kid, my parents installed a HUGE wood furnace in the basement, it sat literally in the very center of our basement, which was about 1400 square feet.
My dad would fill that huge barrel shaped woodbox full of wood, and open it up, wow that thing made a lot of heat.
The stove pipe was glowing half the time, and if you were upstairs, and went down, by about the 4th step down the heat wave coming up the stairwell could almost overwhelm you.

Thats what this guy needs..........he would no longer complain about not enough heat output.
Our house was about 2800 feet up and down, we would wake up to a cool house, dad would light that old gal up, fill it, and inside 3 hours you wear sweating in the coolest room in the house.
But boy oh boy did it have an appetite for wood.

Now my parents live in a newer home, just 2400 feet, its just the 2 of them, and they have just a regular heater in the basement.
Takes them 8 hours to take the chill off the house with it if they allow it to get cold, and it also only uses a small fraction of the wood.
Not sure why our old house never burnt down with that monstrosity in the basement, when it was wound up to full burn, it nearly fried the skin off your face at 10 feet away.

It was not much more than a barrel layed on its side, with steel legs, and a stove pipe out the back end, and a huge steel door.
I would guess it stood about 5 feet tall, and was about 6 feet long.
My dad said he looked at the chimney once a year, but never had to clean it.
I would guess that much heat roaring up the chimney did not allow creosote to ever form.

Status
Not open for further replies.