Video trashing EPA stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rdust said:
Hiram Maxim said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/spartaeus#p/u/0/CMJmXAo_Tx4

Looks like he found some dry wood? :gulp:

I'd like to see him put his hand on it now!

Only thing I can figure is he wants a stove that will glow cherry red in minutes after loading wood so he knows it's hot.

Is the 30 more of a radiant or convection heater? Maybe he needs a blower to help move the heat away from the stove. My stove with all the shielding will only radiant off the front/top. I can just about hold my hand to the side during the peak part of the burn due to all the shielding, that's what I wanted so that's what I bought.

If I ever got anything cherry red.... I think I would hang up my wood burning hat. :cheese:

The 30 is more of a radiant heater.

Hiram Maxim said:
If I ever got anything cherry red.... I think I would hang up my wood burning hat. :cheese:
I have no wood-burning hats left. At one point or another, they all ignited when I got too close the glowing orange flue pipe.
:eek:hh:

Danno77 said:
boatboy63 said:
Hiram Maxim said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/spartaeus#p/u/0/CMJmXAo_Tx4

Looks like he found some dry wood? :gulp:
There is an old saying that reminds me of him...It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot then to speak and prove it to them. Seems like his new video is his way of shouting to the world.
I can't believe he is getting secondaries like that and still thinks his older stove was hotter and used less wood. Part of me wonders if he was just running the old stove balls to the wall and hitting temps like 800 all day long. If that was the case, then, I can't figure out why he would have used less wood...
I think he's comparing applies and oranges. His old stove sounds like a radiant stove, and his new one is convection. Comparing the surface temperatures and how hot it feels with your hand near them is a meaningless comparison. How warm it makes the house would be more meaningful.

grommal said:
I think he's comparing applies and oranges. His old stove sounds like a radiant stove, and his new one is convection. Comparing the surface temperatures and how hot it feels with your hand near them is a meaningless comparison. How warm it makes the house would be more meaningful.

The stove he has is radiant. There is one just like it sitting across the room from me.

Please note, this is my experience with this type of a stove. I've been using wood stoves all my life. This is the first EPA stove I've used and this review is based on my experience using dry seasoned wood. I'll say it again and all the arguing is not going to change the facts. This stove does NOT heat as well as an old type woodstove. The heat transfer is poor and it does NOT heat anywhere near its advertised rating. We had to close off half our house and sleep in the living room to keep warm.

Oh my god. I think BrotherBart has been lying to all of us!

BrotherBart said:
grommal said:

The stove he has is radiant. There is one just like it sitting across the room from me.

Admit it, you're cold.

Even with the second video being so dark, I still had to laugh with the leaning tower of flue pipe going on. Jealous of the sweet secondaries though...

Enough of all this talk of wood and stoves. Why is he wearing a wig?

BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:
grommal said:

Admit it, you're cold.

Yep. The inside of this house looks like the Ice Palace in Dr. Zhivago. I just can't admit it because my pride makes me defend not spending more money for my stove. :red:

Attachments

• the ice palace.jpg
    the ice palace.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 259
BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:
grommal said:

Admit it, you're cold.

Yep. The inside of this house looks like the Ice Palace in Dr. Zhivago. I just can't admit it because my pride makes me defend not spending more money for my stove. :red:

And they are "only" a few "short minutes" from your house! :lol:

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Thanks for pointing that out, Kathleen. That was my first reaction upon visiting his web page, but I was too insecure in my masculinity to mention it. ;)

Hiram--great catch on the new video. I note that he no longer has wood sitting on top of his stove. :-/

PJF1313 said:
And they are "only" a few "short minutes" from your house! :lol:

If you are talking about ESW, they are 143 miles from my house. About a hundred and fifty six short minutes. Well, at my age more like three hundred minutes with restroom stops and trying to remember where I left the car in the truck stop parking lots.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

Admit it, you're cold.

I knew it!

Danno77 said:
Part of me wonders if he was just running the old stove balls to the wall and hitting temps like 800 all day long. If that was the case, then, I can't figure out why he would have used less wood...

Maybe cherry red is a more efficient color? :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:
grommal said:

Admit it, you're cold.

That will teach you for buying one of them crappy double walled heaters.
They keep all the heat in, and send it up the chimney......lol

There's something wrong with my Heritage. I can't get any part of it to glow red...

BrowningBAR said:
There's something wrong with my Heritage. I can't get any part of it to glow red...

Your not using enough gasoline on your fire then.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

I was watching the video on his page and my wife walked by and said "What the hell is that a picture of?"

BrowningBAR said:

Try pumping in some bottled oxygen. Gets everything glowing just fine. You just might lose that "soft heat" effect, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.