Vigilant I Rebuild Manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Ford

Nov 4, 2012
Does anyone have this manual--and willing to share it? I did search for it in this forum, with no luck. I did see a post where Remkel thought he had it--but alas, he no longer does.

I just picked up a Vigilant, built in 1980, that is virtually identical to one I grew up with. It's in great shape, just in need of paint and sealing up. I'm certain it'll be good as new with a thorough rebuild. So, I'm just looking for that manual to be sure I don't miss anything.

I'll post picks once I start bead blasting the bits for paint.

Thanks, Brad

Any luck, Brad? Did you go ahead with the rebuild?

Brad, I think I have a copy that Remkel sent me a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find the file and I'll let you know.

Brad I found my copy. Send me a PM with email address and I'll email it to you.

Haven't checked in for a while... busy and it took a while to media blast all the parts with my compressor. Finally finished over the holiday and got it installed.
262668_10200293325044763_2114123841_n.jpg

and installed...

537207_10200305379146108_1301756435_n.jpg

It's working well, but not as well as I had hoped. Burn time is about 6-7 hours, and it doesn't get quite as hot as I recall. Trying to figure out if I have set it correctly--but I've slowly worked the thermostatic control across its range, as well as the secodary air intake.

Brad

If you've got good wood and good air you should have no problem hitting 750 or more griddle temp. When your first get the fire going, have the thermostat set so that the flap in back is wide open. Once you get the temp up to 700 or so, throw the handle into horizontal burn, leaving the air intakes untouched for a while. The temp should slowly settle down to 500 or 550. This is when I'll close the back flap to where it's about half an inch open. It should maintain that temp for several hours. The Teardrop on the side should also be open most of the time.

Stove looks great. Mine could use a good stove polish job or a couple coats of Crisco.

Fantastic job on that stove!

I've got decent wood and air--although I'm a little concerned about the draft. It doesn't seem as strong as it should be. I've cleaned the chimney, so I know it's clear, but I suspect the horizontal pipe, plus the 4 feet through the old stone wall to the chimney might be too long. Not much I can do about that though.

I haven't gotten it quite that hot before shutting it down and going to the horizontal burn--I get worried about overheating the stove pipe. I've gotten it to around 600on the griddle, but flames reach pretty far up the pipe at that point and although it's clean, it makes me a bit nervous with the popping and creaking. Once it's in horizontal burn it goes down around 500-600, but doesn't radiate the way I remember. As a teenager, I remember not being able to sit near it in our family room.

I have set the thermostatic control on the back as you have indicated, and I've run the secondary air on the side from about 1/4 to full open. 1/4 open has yielded the best results.

Thanks for the info--I'll try getting it hotter before I shut it down this evening.

Brad

Your stove looks awesome! I just got a Vig last week. Just got the rebuild manual from Remkel. How did it go? Any tips or unexpected complications? I just read through the procedures, and there seems to be some confusion (for me, away) about the one-piece fireback vs. the two piece. The manual says to contact VC about reinstalling the one-piece. Again, nice job!

Hi Guys, new member getting back into the good old wood-stove world. I have a 1979 Vigilant that my sister got back in 79 when she worked for VC. Awesome stove and I'm bringing it back out of retirement. Want to do a full rebuild and saw a few requests for a Vigilant Rebuild Manual". I saw that "Kenster" had one that he sent to "Brad Ford" back in 2012, Kenster could you send me a copy? Thanks so much!

Looks great I have a I think 1980 version that was given to me ,it has some rust on it put otherwise is fine .Did you paint your stove? What did you use,would you do the same thing again. Mine has glass doors.

537207_10200305379146108_1301756435_n.jpg

It's working well, but not as well as I had hoped. Burn time is about 6-7 hours, and it doesn't get quite as hot as I recall. Trying to figure out if I have set it correctly--but I've slowly worked the thermostatic control across its range, as well as the secodary air intake.

Brad[/quote]

6-7 hours is what I used to get out of mine....that stove should be throwing some massive heat for you.

It's on my computer somewhere. I'll find it and send it soon.

Email address, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.