Vigilant II tune up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
Our Vig II was new when my in-laws built this house in 1985. We own the house now. I love the stove but it could use a tune up. I really don't want to take the whole thing apart. I have replaced the "rope" seals in the lid and doors several years ago. It needs some caulking in some of the joints to get it airtight again. Can I just force a bead of the proper caulk into the joints? Either from the outside or the inside, which ever is easier.
I realize this is probably not the proper way to recaulk but it may be the best I can do. I'd just like to get it a little more airtight than it is now.

Thanks!

When your stove is burning, hold an incense stick or a Smoke Stick
(or a cigarette) near each of the vertical & horizontal seams.
Anywhere there is an air leak, smoke will be drawn into the stove.
Mark those areas with white chalk so you can find them after the stove cools...
If the smoke is drawn in only in certain areas, you MAY be able to spot patch
them with a tube of furnace cement held in a caulk gun.
If the hole in the end of the tube is small enough, like less than 1/8",
you just may be able to force the caulk into the gaps without making too big a mess...
If the leaks are ALL over the place, you probably need to tear it down & reseal
all mating surfaces, AFTER the remnants of the old cement is removed.
That will require a new tie rod kit as well...

my experience doing this ends up with the stuff falling back off 3 to 4 weeks later.