Vigilant with Water heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakleerulez

Feb 9, 2016
plattsburgh
Hi all, anyone have any insight on what I am dealing with here? I bought the house and it came with a vigilant and defiant. Not super pleased with either yet, but a lot of it could be user error. found a lot of info on these forums so far, so it was recommended i ask for advice on this setup on this section.

Attachments

• IMG_2146 (1).JPG
    IMG_2146 (1).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 448
The vigilant pictured appears to have a factory water heater in it. As far as the stove operation, it will be no different from any other Vig., you just lose some firebox space because of the heaater. Do you have an owner's manual? Very helpful.

The plumbing is another matter entirely. If you're unclear about it, maybe have a plumber look it over to be sure it is safe.

Interesting set up!

Thanks. Yeah I am unsure about the effectiveness of the water heater aspect. I dont have a manual, and actually thought it was a DIY project. good to know that its factory installed.

My question is, where does the piping lead? is there water currently in there you dont want that to dry out as the water acts as an insulator to whatever it is plumbed into. With out it the stove temps can actually burn through that system, think of it like running your hot water tank when it is empty.

I would suggest following the pipes and see where they lead and if they are currently circulating water

The pipes go down to a crawl space which I cannot access. (i seriously cannot find access to it) from the crawlspace they go into our hot water heater (but the valve to the hotwater heater is closed and pump is off), kinda nervous to run water through it. but i can certainly try flip the valve and see what happens.

I would not suggest opening that valve now as you may be opening a can of worms. Especially since you dont know where they go.
If you have a couple of buddies where you can have someone stand every few feet and can inspect it with you, you can try it just be ready to have someone stand by that shut off so you don't flood your wood stove with water. IF you do want to test it be sure that your stove is cold, you dont want to have cold water pouring into a hot cast iron stove.

My experience with the V.C. water heaters is that they're very rugged welded stainless, and the thing least likely to fail in the system. Still have a plumber check it over before firing, just sayin'...

Thanks. Yeah I am unsure about the effectiveness of the water heater aspect. I dont have a manual, and actually thought it was a DIY project. good to know that its factory installed.

Well, from the looks of some of the solder joints, it was definitely a DIY job. But yeah, a hot water heater was a 'factory' option. I wanted one, but couldn't figure out how to get the plumbing into the fireplace (My VC Resolute is free-standing inside the fireplace on short legs with a VC-branded 'muffin' fan to move air about) and that is about as far from the rest of the heating system as can be in this small house.

What type of heat do you have? I could see a real benefit if you had hydronic heat (radiators) like I've got. The furnace's circulator could keep water moving.

You really do need to get access to the crawl space. Just hope the hatchway isn't like the one on my house: it gets smaller every year! :rolleyes:

I actually do have radiators throughout the house. Fairly new oil hot water baseboard. I cant find a way to get into that crawlspace. I can see in there, if i pull out some yoga moves on a step ladder in the basement. Actually really nervous out the pipes under that section of the house freezing. The previous owner was a real DIYer it seemed. quite a bit of interesting things when it comes to electric and heat. some things are top notch, others are , umm, interesting.

you need to find out if those pipes are hooked to the top of a regular water or in a indirect coil in the tank. if it is a indirect coil you could antifreeze that water and not worry about the freezing temps. also make sure you have a t. and p. valve on it so if it does build to much pressure it can blow off.

Status
Not open for further replies.