Vogelzang 5790 Burn Question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MiMod

Oct 22, 2019
272727@1Billy
On my 4th year with this unit. For about the last year the inside of my burn chamber ( the Walls ) are covered with a black soot that is different than the gray ash that used to be produced after a burn. I have played with the air intake some thinking it needed more air but its further open than it used to be & the black soot has not changed. I'm wondering if something has changed in my pellets. I've run Michigan Hardwood pellets from TSC for 2 yrs now. I did run some Pro Pellets for a while & it seemed to be better. The Problem with those is the bag says net 40# per bag when they actually weigh #36 lbs. So you giving up 10% of your burn time to use those at around the same $ per bag. Any thoughts on the cause of Black soot vs Grey ash on the walls of the burn chamber walls ?

Try cleaning all hidden areas per manual, then use leaf blower to suck out rest of ash with stove door open or vacuum hose disconnected. Should burn a lot cleaner afterwards

I have had this stove since 2014 and burn about 3 to 4 tons a year though it, My Stove is very picky with pellets, Bare foot seem to burn the best and if the stove gets dirty it burns terrible. If I keep it clean , Doors on the side exhaust motor and piping and what not the stove burns great, I tend to do a deep clean twice a year and a general cleaning once a week.

I also Found that https://www.ebay.com/itm/266067251322 Helps a lot. I am very happy with this stove especially for the price point.