Vogelzang deluxe barrel kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew skinner

Dec 17, 2012
First off I just want to say that I have read many threads and posts about barrel stoves, how dangerous they are, and all of the people saying how they would never get one or use one for anything. But nonetheless, I am building one. HOWEVER, I am not putting it inside my house. I have a large stone patio that runs the length of my house and I will be putting it there. I haven't decided where exactly, but the stove will be 10+ feet away from my house or anything else combustible.i am going to be throwing up a concrete half shelter around it as we'll. basically even if the stove itself was on fire, it wouldn't take anything down with it. My friend has one for his shop and boy can these things throw the heat. What I want to do is take another barrel and have it sit on top of the stove(not a double barrel though where the smoke runs through again). The top barrel will have 2 6 inch pipe coming from it into my basement with one going into the plenum and the other will have a blower fixed on it. The blower will run, pushing the heated air in the barrel back into the plenum to be distributed. Both pipes be insulated. The distance the insulated piping will travel to get into my house will be around 10 feet. The only thing I am really waiting on is enough chimney pipe to make a tall enough chimney. I am figuring since these stoves throw off so much heat that the second barrel on top should get hot enough for what I want. Over the next few months I will end up making the half shelter into an actual heavily vented furnace room in order to have a barrier between the cold and the stove. What are you guys thoughts on the matter? I know there may be better ways to do it and I am open to all suggestions. I am getting the concrete block very cheap from a friend as well as the piping to run to my plenum. My main cost is making my 10 ft chimney. My ideal set up is obviously an actual wood furnace with a chimney running up the side of my house, but I am working on saving for that. This is what I want to do for a few years until then. Thanks guys!!

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you are going to find you are going to burn a lot of wood for very little heat with this setup.

Why a wood furnace instead of a wood stove? If you want to some suggestions on heating options, let us know what you are looking to do in a new thread and you might get some good ideas.

Welcome to the site.

pen

Yeah, I think you'll find it an 'exercise in futility'.

Where are you located? How much are you trying to heat?

I am in Virginia. It doesn't get terribly cold for the most part. I am looking to heat my 1800 sq ft home. I like it to be around 65 so I am not concerned if it doesn't get above 70. My wood is also free. You guys don't think if the piping was insulated and the blower strong that the air would remain hot enough to cycle?

This setup sounds like it will catch little of the radiant heat and deliver it to the house. A large part of heat from the barrel is going to be radiated, but lost to the concrete bunker. Given the already inherent inefficiency of this setup, it sounds like it will be eating wood like candy to keep the house warm. You would get a lot more pleasure, warmth and comfort from a properly installed stove in the house. Give it a good safe chimney and burn dry wood and it should do a great job.

I would be concerned about possible carbon monoxide entering my home a deadly way to heat your home Matt..

Ray

The efficiency of such a setup would likely require near constant feeding of wood to get much heat gain at all in your house. Consider the vast majority of the heat will be radiation which will be complete lost and consider the inherent inefficiency of the setup to being with. I mean, you'd be lucky to get 10% of the available BTU's into your house. That is a LOT of wood for any real heat gain at all.

Dont waste your money and just get you one of these new at Home Depot nearest you in Virginia.

You will pay for it the first year in heat savings if you cut your own wood.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100291302/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wood stove&storeId=10051#.UNDRx-TaJZI

7638d9c2-52b5-4b63-8426-f7c3a51852be_300.jpg

Reactions: raybonz
First off I just want to say that I have read many threads and posts about barrel stoves, how dangerous they are, and all of the people saying how they would never get one or use one for anything. But nonetheless, I am building one. HOWEVER, I am not putting it inside my house. I have a large stone patio that runs the length of my house and I will be putting it there. I haven't decided where exactly, but the stove will be 10+ feet away from my house or anything else combustible.i am going to be throwing up a concrete half shelter around it as we'll. basically even if the stove itself was on fire, it wouldn't take anything down with it. My friend has one for his shop and boy can these things throw the heat. What I want to do is take another barrel and have it sit on top of the stove(not a double barrel though where the smoke runs through again). The top barrel will have 2 6 inch pipe coming from it into my basement with one going into the plenum and the other will have a blower fixed on it. The blower will run, pushing the heated air in the barrel back into the plenum to be distributed. Both pipes be insulated. The distance the insulated piping will travel to get into my house will be around 10 feet. The only thing I am really waiting on is enough chimney pipe to make a tall enough chimney. I am figuring since these stoves throw off so much heat that the second barrel on top should get hot enough for what I want. Over the next few months I will end up making the half shelter into an actual heavily vented furnace room in order to have a barrier between the cold and the stove. What are you guys thoughts on the matter? I know there may be better ways to do it and I am open to all suggestions. I am getting the concrete block very cheap from a friend as well as the piping to run to my plenum. My main cost is making my 10 ft chimney. My ideal set up is obviously an actual wood furnace with a chimney running up the side of my house, but I am working on saving for that. This is what I want to do for a few years until then. Thanks guys!!
I was thinking just what pen said.. your going to burn a whole lot of wood for very little heat. You would get way more heat out of a tiny stove than this convoluted contracption, reason, heat loss. There will be so much heat lost from that first barrel and then in the second barrel and the fact taht your relying on heat transfer of basically the exhaust gases to get your heat from, id be suprised if you got better than 10% of the actual BTU's you burn into your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.