vogelzang vg5790 blower motor running hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tammybrian2

Oct 16, 2018
Michigan
Hello Everyone,
i just purchased a used vg5790 for my garage. the stove was manufactured in 2014, and what i am told is that this stove has only been used by one person and only a handful of times. the stove looks in good shape. i plugged the stove in so the blower motor was running, and i noticed that the motor itself was very hot, like i could not keep my hand on it for longer that 5-8 seconds. (there has been no fire buring at this point as i need to replace the igniter) i've cleaned the stove from head to toe, i pulled the blower motor off the stove and it appears very clean (part number 12126019). i am just wondering if it should be this hot when no fire is burning?
thanks in advance for any help with my question. --Brian

i was reading through the manual again and i do see that this fan should not kick on until the heat exchanges warm up. i do not see anything in the manual about a 'test' mode.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/vogelzang-vg-5790.139136/page-3

About halfway down the page is the control board test, the thread has good info. I've run it on mine and it works. My 5770 uses the same control.

Correct, the room fan shouldn't even come on until some point later in startup mode, like after the stove gets up to temp.

Getting back to the motor itself feeling hot - it's probably normal, motors do heat up. As long as the windings are not plugged with lint/dust, and its little fan is intact, it should be okay. Most of these motors have a thermostatic switch in the windings that will shut the motor off to protect it.

i went through the control board test as mentioned in post #5 above. i thought i had an issue with step 10. where DR should appear in the display, the exhaust blower did not come on, but i'm sure i've seen it work without this test. when i get to this step, the display in blank (no lights). i press another button to go to step 11 and that display is blank as well. the rest of the testing was successful. what should this tell me??

adding info for steps 10 and 11:
10. DR APPEARS IN THE DISPLAY. YOU WILL HEAR THE EXHAUST BLOWER RAMPING WITH THE DOOR SHUT, ON SOLID WITH THE DOOR OPEN. NO LIGHTS. PRESS ANYU BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

11. RF WILL APPEAR IN THE DISPLAY ONLY IF THE LOW LIMIT IS BYPASSED OR NOT IN THE PROPER OPEN POSISTION. IF THE DISPLAY IS BLANK, THE LOW LIMIT IS OPEN (GOOD) ANF THE BLOWER WILL NOT COME ON. TO TEST THE ROOM BLOWER IF THE LIMIT SWITCH IS GOOD, YOU WILL HAVE TO BYPASS THE LOW LIMIT AND RERUN THE TEST. PRESS ANY BUTTON TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEP.

just a quick update, the fan still runs as soon as i plug the stove in. i installed a new igniter, which works, and the stove itself seems to work fine. when the stove starts up, i put the temp setting on HI, let the fire get going and then drop it down to the lowest setting. seems to feed pellets ok, enough to keep the fire going on low. when i turn the stove off on the panel, the room fan motor continues to run and have to unplug the stove to stop it.