Vogelzang XL 3200 sq ft. air control levers frozen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ke4rzi

Nov 28, 2008
Down the road from Saturn
I just got my new Vogelzang XL stove unboxed and slid into place and I was about to connect the chimney pipe and then I realized that I can't get either of the air control levers to move. I think they are in the open position but, I can't get either of them to slide and I'm afraid if I pull any harder the springs will slide off the shafts. ALso, there is a cloth insulation type material that I can see when looking down the chimney connection point in the top of the stove. That is supposed to stay there I presume? It's held under 3 flat pieces of metal that look like they are intended to keep the cloth insulation material laying flat. Any information would be great and I don't see anything about it in the manual.

Well, I figured it out and they were both just stuck and needed a little more persuasion. I wound up taking the springs off the handles and clamps some vice grips onto the end of the shafts and pulled a little harder and they broke free. I also put some grease on the shafts after I got them freed up. I'm not sure if this new stove is heating enough for 3200 sq. ft. though. I've put it in the basement of my 2200 sq. ft. house with the 2200 being the upstairs square footage. I'm almost got a full basement.

I'm glad you got them freed up. Maybe something crammed them in too hard when shipping. The insulation blanket is intentional. It must lay flat and not get bunched up. Treat the baffle with respect, they can crack easily if hit with a log when loading or with a sweep's brush.

The stove is not likely to heat the whole house when it's cold out, but will still be a good supplement to the primary heat if the basement walls are insulated.

Well, I figured it out and they were both just stuck and needed a little more persuasion. I wound up taking the springs off the handles and clamps some vice grips onto the end of the shafts and pulled a little harder and they broke free. I also put some grease on the shafts after I got them freed up. I'm not sure if this new stove is heating enough for 3200 sq. ft. though. I've put it in the basement of my 2200 sq. ft. house with the 2200 being the upstairs square footage. I'm almost got a full basement.
Allot will depend on your climate and insulation value of your house including the basement.

And yeah probably just got jammed in shipping or a little rust occurred while being shipped from.over seas.