Waited a little too long....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
So apparently it is so cold and windy in the PNW people are going to die tonight. Gotta love the news building things up.
I have fire wood I have a fancy vista insert I even have the new SS liner. All in the garage while the furnace cycles cylces cycles.
ARGHH!!!!

Way to windy and cold to play with the liner today. So instead i removed 900 square feet of one inch rock wool in my attic and replaced it with R19 glass. The house is SOOOOO much warmer with insulation. I'm going to blow in another R 30 of cellulose next week to take advantage of the tax break to the fullest. Wish I had the vista fired up.

The wind is amazing tonight.

Kind a sucks that you can't have a fire going, but probably a smart thing staying off the roof with all that wind out there. You will recoup the money your burning with the furnace soon enough.

Just to let you know what your missing. I have my Fireview up to 625 right now, just got in from shoveling the driveway. 5 degrees with a good stiff NW wind outside, nice and toasty 75-80 inside.

That has got to bug you to no end.

At least you have the burner and the wood. At least you are that far ahead of the rest.

Hang in there Rob, this is one for the record books. Fortunately the winds are not hitting our area right now, but it's cold with lots of snow coming down.

Congratulations on going after the insulation. That's going to payback no matter how you are heating.

Todd said:
Kind a sucks that you can't have a fire going, but probably a smart thing staying off the roof with all that wind out there. You will recoup the money your burning with the furnace soon enough.

Just to let you know what your missing. I have my Fireview up to 625 right now, just got in from shoveling the driveway. 5 degrees with a good stiff NW wind outside, nice and toasty 75-80 inside.

Well Todd, you could have kept that stuff there. We got another 4" overnight and now the wind is really howling. At times you can't see 20 feet. Good day to stay off the roads for sure.

This PNW storm was a major dud for us. There was a breeze, there were some flakes, but only about 23 degrees and hardly a flicker of the power. Maybe an inch of new snow but blown into drifts so the only apparent change was my footprints in the old snow were filled. We sat inside and watched the news rant and rave until we went to sleep. We will be having a pool party in the devastated city of Enumclaw this afternoon.

Being prepared is the best way to prevent disasters.

I thought last winter was bad because we got much, much more snow than normal--broke records, collapsed a lot of roofs. This winter is not shaping up to be good at all. Since the extreme, sub-zero weather moved in last week, we've gotten 3 feet of snow. We're to get another foot with the storm that's hitting today and tomorrow. Now they're warning that the storm that will roll through Christmas Eve and Christmas day may dump "heavy" snow on the valley floor--they aren't saying how many inches "heavy" will be yet, but the last storm that dumped 2 feet of snow on us was to deliver "moderate" snow. We're staying sub-zero to boot. This pattern of constant, back-to-back storms dumping a foot or more of snow only a day or two apart is enough to make one hope there's some truth to global warming. Now in addition to worrying about pipes, I'm beginning to worry about the snow load on the roof. Our daytime highs have been staying below zero so even with metal roofs there's no melting or movement happening. Ugh. I hope once this damned high pressure front that's locked us in arctic air moves on that we have an unseasonably warm rest of the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.