Waiver to cut on Private Property

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
firefighterjake said:
basswidow said:
I've never been asked before. I don't have a problem with the waiver - I just don't have one.

I came to the homeowner on Saturday and he said he was not going to be around and wanted to be at home when I cut it, so I came back Sunday at 1 like we agreed and he said he wasn't feeling good and didn't want to hear the saw, and spoke to his lawyer and wants the waiver and copy of my license to verify I am who I am. I figured I could show him the license. Heck - I live two blocks down the road! So he screwed my sat and sun - both days I had planned to cut it up.

I said - " hey - if you don't want me too - just say so". Taking it out will actually be a favor to him - so his kids don't get hurt on it. He said he was alright with it - but doesn't trust me (thinks his ex-wife sent me over to fake a law suit).

I am starting to think about passing on it. Shame - it's a great tree.

PASS!!!!!!!

This one has "Trouble" written all over it . . .

Totally. As Jay would say...RUN Forrest RUN!!! Too many things involved when its a domestic sitch.Lots of other 'free' wood out there with no baggage.

Around here we call that rotting sucker wood....Let'em choke on it! Even funnier to watch them mow around it for a couple Years.

lol I'm sure you've seen this locally - a couple weeks back I seen on CL an ad for 'free firewood',they actually showed pics (I wont even think of replying if they dont) It was 3-4 large very old 1/2 rotten stumps or uglies in a back alley next to telephone pole.Barely 1/4 mile from my house.I wouldnt show up there even for $50 to haul that trash off.It'll no doubt be there until its compost.

I just passed on a huge fallen Red Oak because the property owner, the local JCC wanted me to sign a waiver and get proof of coverage from my home owner's policy. I told them that I didn't want to deal with the complications. I did tell them that they could give their tree guy my number if he wants to get rid of the wood. I added that his insurance and fee would surely cover that.
It sucks that it has to be this way, but people and organizations do have to protect themselves.

Sorry a bit late on this reply.

I am with the group that says this is trouble waiting to happen. Also, many waivers have a "any and all future claims language" that basically says you give any and all rights to any type of claim against this person . . . not only those related to the tree in question. You'd hate to see this waiver coming up later in a legitimate dispute.

I can see him reviewing the ID to make sure you are who you say you are when you sign, but I would not give him a copy. Most homeowners if they really delve into their policy can and are insured for this type of thing under their own policy. I know when I am going to have work done on our farm property by workers not related to the farm operation, I just call my insurance company and pay a special fee to insure against suits based on liability during a couple month period. It is real inexpensive. You are doing this guy a favor actually removing the wood. Maybe after he gets a couple estimates from some tree services, he might change his tone.

Little Spark

Status
Not open for further replies.