Wall Boards - Asbestos?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie1974

Sep 27, 2014
georgia
How do I know if these wall boards are made with asbestos?

Attachments

• 760.jpeg
    760.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 196
Have a pro look at the only way to tell for sure .
If it is asbestos Do not use it do not move it
Have the pros handle it not good for your health

A professional needs to take a sample of it and have it analyzed. At the lab, they examine it with a microscope and look to see if it's asbestos. Best to leave it alone until then. The danger with asbestos is when it's disturbed, or deteriorating and the loose particles can get into the air.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
A professional needs to take a sample of it and have it analyzed. At the lab, they examine it with a microscope and look to see if it's asbestos. Best to leave it alone until then. The danger with asbestos is when it's disturbed, or deteriorating and the loose particles can get into the air.

agreed, although that is a non friable material and would be safe to move as long as you do not crush it creating dust. There is more asbestos in the air from brake linings then that panel will ever create. Standing on the street corner waiting to cross gives you more exposure. As a homeowner you can throw it away with your trash, I would at least put it in a plastic bag. Unless you really need to know, just dispose of it as construction debris. Do not reuse it unless it tests negative.

Most of the asbestos issues were from workers exposed to lots and lots of it over their careers. Not from a homeowner tearing out a wall of it.

You know, most of the water pipes in this country are Asbestos Cement. That water you drink probably washed down a pipe made of asbestos, OMG!

Don't cut it with a circular saw, do break it into chunks, and dump it like garbage. If you must know, try to burn it. If it burns it is most likely not asbestos. Then keep burning it until it's gone.

Reactions: flyingcow
You know, most of the water pipes in this country are Asbestos Cement.

A sidebar, I worked for a water utility for many years and never saw one asbestos cement pipe. Water lines are typically pressurized and I am not aware of pressurized asbestos cement pipe.

A sidebar, I worked for a water utility for many years and never saw one asbestos cement pipe. Water lines are typically pressurized and I am not aware of pressurized asbestos cement pipe.

Most of the pipes I've extended, replaced, or tapped have been AC pipes. From 2" up to 12". All new pipe has been ductile iron of course.

might be somewhat regional, here in Ohio we remove (abate) lots of ACM piping.

My local utility in Maine had cast iron, ductile iron, some old galvanized (rapidly being removed) and once in while the crews would find some wood pipes in the trenches. No ACM

We've run into the wood pipes but only the small stuff like 2". Creosoted and wire wrapped. Pretty cool I think. We also still have some leaded joint cast iron pipes. They use the oakum (spelling?) fiber packed in the joint and then pound lead in cold.

My favorite is when we find a 2" AC main feeding a fire hydrant.

Asbestos does harm by being inhaled into the lungs.. The fibers are shaped sort of like a fish hook and the body does not have the ability to expel them. Not sure how much harm it does by being a vessel that carries water that may be ingested.

Status
Not open for further replies.