Wall switch turns my gas fireplace off but not on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ely MN

Jan 7, 2017
Fort Worth TX
Hello,

I have an 11 year old Superior brand gas fireplace model number SSBV3530CNM that generally works well, but the wall switch no longer works to turn it on. To turn it on, I need to manually push the circular push button under the unit, which causes it to start perfectly. I would, however, prefer to have the wall switch work has it historically has. The wall switch will turn it off, but not on. The pilot is lit.

Do you have any advice on what is wrong, or how I can troubleshoot it or repair it?

Thanks!
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull the wall switch from the wall & disconnect the wires. Touch the wires together.
Does the fireplace light? If so, replace the wall switch.

How many millivolts is your thermopile putting out.
Take one wire off the gas valve to check.
Sounds like a weak thermopile.

Pull the wall switch from the wall & disconnect the wires. Touch the wires together.
Does the fireplace light? If so, replace the wall switch.

Thank you very much. I pulled the wall switch and that turned out to be the issue. What a quick, easy fix. Thank you! Thank you also to the other contributor who provided a response to help me with this question.

Joe

Reactions: 49er