Wall temps over fireplace or woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck-OH

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2008
Ohio
Has anyone here ever measured the temperature of the wall over their fireplace or woodstove when it's going full bore? I'm redoing the insulation above an older masonry fireplace which currently contains a gas insert, and when the insert temp reads 500F, the wall and studs 21 inches above the firebox reads 80F.

I'd like to use foam insulation board there, because it's a much better insulator for walls than fiberglass batts or mineral wool, but it starts to melt at 160F.

So if the gas insert were removed at some future date, and the fireplace converted back to woodburning (which is unlikely), or a woodstove were added (slightly more likely), would anyone expect that temps greater than 160F would be seen on the wall over the firebox? That sounds high to me, but I wanted to ask those with more experience burning wood. Thanks.

Chuck - I have never formally tested my wall temps but I have tried my hand on it several times to guage whether or not I could hang something (a t.v. - don't laugh) past the minimum combustibles clearance. I'll say from my experience that an insert won't heat the wall nearly as much as my free standing stove sitting right on the hearth in front of the FP (infrared has a direct line slightly past vertical). Having said that though, while it feels "warm" to my hand (I can leave it there as long as I want) I've never measured the temp inside the wall - which is what it sounds like you're looking for. That is probably even lower.

So in my particular installation, the wall wouldn't get hot enough to melt the foam. But, I'd consult local codes to make sure that kind of installation is compliant based on your possible future usage of the FP.

Status
Not open for further replies.