Wall thimble temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dalbert

Oct 13, 2017
Londonderry Nh
Hi all! I'm new to pellet stove operation and ownership... and I have a potentially stupid question- how hot should the wall thimble be? Should the air gap space be too hot to touch? I'm just a little paranoid about the heat inside the wall cavity.

Thanks in advance!

The metal ring directly around the pipe will be hot to the touch and it will vary depending on the stove settings. But if installed properly it will do the job. What pellet pipe do you have? Was it installed professionally?

At first I was paranoid like you and used to take temp readings with the IR gun at different stove settings. I forget the readings, but it wasn't too high even though it felt hot to the touch.

What makes you worry?

The metal ring directly around the pipe will be hot to the touch and it will vary depending on the stove settings. But if installed properly it will do the job. What pellet pipe do you have? Was it installed professionally?

At first I was paranoid like you and used to take temp readings with the IR gun at different stove settings. I forget the readings, but it wasn't too high even though it felt hot to the touch.

What makes you worry?
I'm not sure on the install, it was in the house when we bought it back in May.

It's a smaller englander stove. Tonight is the first night we've fired it up, and I'm probably just being over cautious.

I've had a few wood burning stoves but this is my first pellet stove so I'm just uncomfortable with the unknown.

I may bring my IR thermometer home from work and check the actual temp. It doesn't feel hot enough to be a concern but the stove has only been running a few hours at medium heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure on the install, it was in the house when we bought it back in May.

It's a smaller englander stove. Tonight is the first night we've fired it up, and I'm probably just being over cautious.

I've had a few wood burning stoves but this is my first pellet stove so I'm just uncomfortable with the unknown.

I may bring my IR thermometer home from work and check the actual temp. It doesn't feel hot enough to be a concern but the stove has only been running a few hours at medium heat.

The pipe is 3" duravent

Hi all! I'm new to pellet stove operation and ownership... and I have a potentially stupid question- how hot should the wall thimble be? Should the air gap space be too hot to touch? I'm just a little paranoid about the heat inside the wall cavity.

Thanks in advance!

Where is the thimble located? If the stove vents to the outside directly behind the stove, then the thimble tin will get warm, but you should be able to touch it. Maybe not hold onto it, but touch it. If the piping goes out of the stove, then up a few feet before going through the thimble, then the thimble tin should barely get any heat. IMO.

Where is the thimble located? If the stove vents to the outside directly behind the stove, then the thimble tin will get warm, but you should be able to touch it. Maybe not hold onto it, but touch it. If the piping goes out of the stove, then up a few feet before going through the thimble, then the thimble tin should barely get any heat. IMO.

The pipe comes out the back into a clean out tee, up about 3 feet then horizontal out the wall, about another 3 feet.