Wall Thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DukeWayne

Oct 24, 2021
Southaven MS
I am installing a wood stove in our cabin which is a metal building and roof. There is drywall and insulation in the walls. I have a 7” double walled pipe to pass through the wall. Would I absolutely need a wall thimble? Thanks!

F3575F79-5FA0-43ED-936A-2EEE40ADEC5E.jpeg

Neophyte response: drywall is a combustible material. I'd go with a wall penetration with required clearance. I dont think your plan is safe, or compliant.

Whats on the other side of the wall? Can you describe the full chimney system?

Most curtains are combustible too. This stove needs 36" clearances in all directions except where properly wall shielded. What's there does not look like a correctly installed wall shield. Can we assume the floor is concrete?

This is class A chimney pipe, right? A thimble is required to maintain the proper 2" clearances from the chimney pipe. It can not pass through the wall like that.

Neophyte response: drywall is a combustible material. I'd go with a wall penetration with required clearance. I dont think your plan is safe, or compliant.

Whats on the other side of the wall? Can you describe the full chimney system?
Exits outer metal wall to rejoin 6” pipe curving upwards with 2 more 4’ 6” sections to clear the roofline

Most curtains are combustible too. This stove needs 36" clearances in all directions except where properly wall shielded. What's there does not look like a correctly installed wall shield. Can we assume the floor is concrete?

This is class A chimney pipe, right? A thimble is required to maintain the proper 2" clearances from the chimney pipe. It can not pass through the wall like that.
Thanks for your confirmation. That’s what I thought. Curtains will be removed. Thanks!

One uses the thimble made for this pipe from the chimney pipe manufacturer. But looking closer, it looks like you may be using double-wall connector pipe and not chimney pipe. If so, that is very dangerous! Stove pipe should never pass through a wall or be used for chimney. It can get hot enough to ignite nearby combustibles. Double-wall stovepipe is not the same as double-wall chimney pipe.

The wall shield need to be on spacers and 1" from the wall with at least a 1" opening at the top and bottom so that air can freely convect behind it. The nailing strips for this wall shield are blocking air flow. Wall shield info:

I am installing a wood stove in our cabin which is a metal building and roof. There is drywall and insulation in the walls. I have a 7” double walled pipe to pass through the wall. Would I absolutely need a wall thimble? Thanks!

View attachment 283896
You need to transition to chimney pipe when it gets to the wall and stay with chimney pipe to the top.

I would not use that, not even once.

A wall thimble would be very easy to install with the building construction you described. Also as others have mentioned that doesn't look like chimney pipe going through the wall it looks like stove pipe, also called connector pipe, or double wall pipe.

Never run stove pipe, connector pipe, or double wall pipe through a wall.

What you need is Class A chimney pipe to pass through that wall. Chimney pipe has insulation packed into it and will prevent your building from burning, also the thimble creates the 2 inches of mandatory clearance around the pipe. It would only take a couple of hours to install in your building.

there is a BIG difference in the protection between double wall stovepipe and class A chimney pipe. Nothing to mess around with.

Last edited by a moderator: