Wall Too Hot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1cmathis

Feb 23, 2008
California
We installed our Castine according to the specs, but the wall still gets too hot. The wall is standard drywall, which should not be heated above 125 degrees. Our wall gets to around 140 degrees.

My wife loves the look of the plain walls, so she doesn't want to put in bricks or anything n the walls.

can I remove the drywall near the stove and replace it with some kind of "rock board" that will handle the 140 degrees?

Any chance that there is a rear shield that you could purchase that goes right on the back of the stove? That might work.

If your wall is in fact 140 degrees, you are right at the tested limit for temperature rise on areas of the test structure. I wouldn't worry. I can't see how 140 degrees would be dangerous on drywall? That's so far below the spontaneous combustion temperature of paper or wood.

The rule is 125F above ambient (if your room is 75F, your good to 200F)

Corie said:
If your wall is in fact 140 degrees, you are right at the tested limit for temperature rise on areas of the test structure. I wouldn't worry. I can't see how 140 degrees would be dangerous on drywall? That's so far below the spontaneous combustion temperature of paper or wood.

According to the manufacturers, drywall starts to loose moisture and dry out above 125 degrees and can turn to powder (their words).

There is a heat shield on the back that came with the stove.

Corie said:

On the other hand, if you are concerned that it is affecting the paint on the wall - such as causing early discoloration or something similar - there is a product to add to the stove pipe that will cut down on the wall temps.

I have one and I think Yamaha-girl has one as well. It is a stove pipe heat shield and it does drop the wall temps by quite a bit.
http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Grou...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1232768772&sr=1-1

Here is a thread where these things were spoken of.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28625/

fossil said:
If the stove's installed in accordance with the manufacturer's required clearances to combustibles, I don't think 140F is a problem. Read this article, and we can take it from there:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Great article, here's a quote...

"The benchmark temperature, which determines safe clearances, is typically 115 degrees F over the ambient room temperature. In other words, if the ambient room temperature is 70F, the benchmark wall temperature cannot exceed 185F. "

It looks like my 140 degrees is okay.

BJ64 said:
Corie said:

On the other hand, if you are concerned that it is affecting the paint on the wall - such as causing early discoloration or something similar - there is a product to add to the stove pipe that will cut down on the wall temps.

The pipe is okay. The heat is coming off the side of the stove. It sits in the corner diagonally, nearest corner is 11 inches away from the wall - as per the makers install instructions, for a stove with the double-wall pipe and rear heat shield.

Mathis said:
Corie said:

According to the manufacturers, drywall starts to loose moisture and dry out above 125 degrees and can turn to powder (their words).

There is a heat shield on the back that came with the stove.

I think you're fine. Our Castine measured about the same temps (137F). No drywall degradation that I can see yet. Though it can get hotter if I really push the stove.

BeGreen said:
I think you're fine. Our Castine measured about the same temps (137F). No drywall degradation that I can see yet.

That's reassuring to hear. So it sounds like there's no real fire danger? How long has the stove been in that location?

It was there for a year and a half. Then the big guy showed up and moved into its place.

Have you considered a fan to move air around and out of the corner?

Don't you just love the heat that little Castine throws when you get her loaded and cooking. The brick in my hearth get toasty as hell from my girl...

CZARCAR said:
paint it with high reflective color=bright,glossy white & try again
tape al foil on hot areas worx 4sure=kinda ghetto

Uh, I don't think my wife would go for that. I am going to try a small fan, as suggested, and see if that makes a difference. Might be a good idea for dispersing the heat anyway, even if it doesn't help the wall.

The fan won't affect heat radiated from the stove, but it may help circulate heat. As CTwb noted, the F400 is a good radiant heat source.

If you are still concerned after burning the stove some more, a wall shield could be added that will completely address the issue.

You are right about USG, etc. saying that their drywall should not constantly be above 125. But that is a separate issue from actual danger. A constant temp of 140 may eventually degrade the composition of the drywall, but even this (IMHO) is doubtful. More likely the paint may eventually suffer first. In fact, there is a good chance that the actual drywall - in the center - is nowhere near that temp - your measurement is probably the outside surface of the paint.

Webmaster said:
You are right about USG, etc. saying that their drywall should not constantly be above 125. But that is a separate issue from actual danger. A constant temp of 140 may eventually degrade the composition of the drywall, but even this (IMHO) is doubtful. More likely the paint may eventually suffer first. In fact, there is a good chance that the actual drywall - in the center - is nowhere near that temp - your measurement is probably the outside surface of the paint.

Correct. I'm using an infrared thermometer and it's reading the surface.

I guess a piece of sheet meal, spaced one inch from the wall and painted the same color wouldn't look too bad, but my wife likes the "clean" look we have now.

Attachments

• OurStoveSm.jpg
    OurStoveSm.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 707
That's very similar to the way our Castine was installed, though I increased the spec for corner to wall distance a couple inches. A tiled wall shield would look pretty nice there and could link the two different colored walls with the right tile choice.

I had the same concerns that you have so I put one of those taller vertical type fans setup to blow behind my stove. Even with the stove burning hot and the fan on the lowest setting the wall is cold. It went to really hot to cold. It is nice because sometimes when the stove is cranking I turn the fan speed up a notch and set it to circulate back and forth across the stove blowing the warm air out into the room.

I did some research on hot walls and the consensus is that walls get hot when radiant heat is being exposed to sheetrocked walls. As long as you're at the stove's specs you should be safe.

But that didn't stop me. I don't want my walls hot, so instead of adding a permanent wall shield to the wall around the stove, I bought the Drolet 24 gauge steel free standing heat shield. The thing is awesome. The walls when I'm firing at full blast are cool, and the heat is deflected more into the room it seems. When the season is over I just take them away and store them in the basement. I bought 2 of them because one will not give you good side coverage if your stove is in a corner. I really recommend them highly. I think they look pretty good too for the convenience.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200339121_200339121

Measurements are misleading ..... height is 42", but width is 31" PLUS two 10 1/2" wings that don't open up all the way. I put one shield on each wall in the corner and never have to worry about hot walls again.

Status
Not open for further replies.