Walnut Ash Cherry Elm Catalpa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ansehnlich1

Retired Hearth.com Member
Dec 5, 2006
Adams County, PA
Ya, I been doin' a little stihl, fiskars, and maul work. I think the split/stacked stuff is around 15 cord, and there's probably around 3 or 4 cord layin' on the piles.

The Catalpa is to the far right of the little split pile. I don't really like burnin' it, but I turn bowls, and I hear it makes some decent turnin' wood, so I sawed it up and brought it in today.

The stacked stuff is oak in front 2 rows except the lighter stuff to the right The oak's been sittin' for 3 years, and there's walnut, ash, elm, and maybe a little cherry in the rest of the rows.
dsc02982gf.jpg

dsc02983jl.jpg

dsc02987p.jpg

dsc02986xn.jpg

dsc02985e.jpg

dsc02984a.jpg

Lookin' good, the stacks and the bowls. :cool:

What is the stuff in log form, in pic 4?

Lookin' good, the stacks and the bowls. :cool:

What is the stuff in log form, in pic 4?

I got walnut, ash, a little elm, and a little cherry in there. It's all stuff out of my woods here. I've been thinning some stuff out.

In the first pic, the tree with the birdhouse on it is elm, and there's an elm a couple trees to the right. Pretty much the rest of 'em are walnut, except for those cedars. I have lot's of walnut's, I'm thinning them out to allow for the nice straight ones to have plenty of room. My guess is probably a hundred walnuts on the property ranging from 8 to 20 inches diameter.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Ya, I been doin' a little stihl, fiskars, and maul work. I think the split/stacked stuff is around 15 cord, and there's probably around 3 or 4 cord layin' on the piles.

The Catalpa is to the far right of the little split pile. I don't really like burnin' it, but I turn bowls, and I hear it makes some decent turnin' wood, so I sawed it up and brought it in today.

The stacked stuff is oak in front 2 rows except the lighter stuff to the right The oak's been sittin' for 3 years, and there's walnut, ash, elm, and maybe a little cherry in the rest of the rows.
dsc02982gf.jpg

dsc02983jl.jpg

dsc02987p.jpg

dsc02986xn.jpg

dsc02985e.jpg

dsc02984a.jpg
Whats the top cover?

And just for kicks, here's 2 walnut bowls I turned :)

Lovely wood stacks and nice bowls()!
I met a guy in Columbia County New York, near Chatham, that takes flat pieces of wood, boards and cookies, and steams them for quite a while, them bends them into bowls. Most different way I've ever seen to make bowls. Then there's the guy that makes wooden hats, I believe he also uses the steaming technique.

Whats the top cover?

I have rubber roofing material on top of the stacks. I first throw some plywood pieces on top, 2x4 footers spaced a couple feet apart. Then the rubber roofing, then mostly block. The plywood underneath gives a flat surface for the block to sit on. I throw some pallets on top too, you know, whatever I got to hold that rubber roofing down. Been doin' it this way for 6 years. No wood shed, likely won't build one. I can get a good cord or two on the back porch too :)

backporch.jpg

Awesome looking stacks and nice looking place you have there ansehnlich! How far ahead does the 15+ cord put you?

Reactions: ScotO
I'm with you on the rubber roofing for the stacks.....that's all I'll ever use again on the stacks (except for when I build a shed, but it'll probably have a rubber roof too!). Beautiful bowls.....how do you prep the wood before turning it? Do you microwave it? I have a lathe and I'd like to try turning a bowl or two, but was curious how you prep the wood to keep it from splitting after you make the bowl......

Blue2ndaries, I think I have enough wood around here for 3 years. I'll probably buy a triaxle load of oak next spring, just for fun :)

ScottyOverkill, the one thing I do for bowl blanks is keep my eye open for splits/chunks that have already seasoned and have not split open and/or checked. Chunk wood never goes past me without taking a good look at it's bowl makin' capabilities. My other trick is to turn the bowl thick, like over a half inch or more, wax it good, then put it in a sealed bag in the basement for several months, then bring it back up onto the lathe after all that and turn it down/finish it off. That way if it warps I got a chance to straighten it out the second go around. That bowl on the right ain't finished off nice, it just has a coat of paste wax on it....I can finish sand it later and put a nice finish on it then.

For the rest of ya, thanks for all the kind words. I am indeed a lucky man and have plenty of room for doin' stuff around here. You think my property looks good, you should see my wife ;)

And just for kicks, here's a couple more pics for you....

Our house,

img3009p.jpg

The Ford....

img3004e.jpg

The Splitter, 3 pt.

img3002c.jpg

Okay...officially jealous ;em...Nice place and setup!

'Slottawood! Very nice collection and great pictures. Good job!

Beauty thread and spread!!! Those stacks are sweet! Has to be a great feeling having all that heat ready to go!!

Beauty thread and spread!!! Those stacks are sweet! Has to be a great feeling having all that heat ready to go!!

thank ya FireBones, If you look at those pics you'll see the brown spots where the stacks were of what got burned this winter! Plus a bit more that I seeded with grass before the cold weather set in. I burn a lot of wood eh?

Good work with all that wood put up ansehnlich1. Place looks great as well.

Very nice! anserhnlich1.... Hey you got wind power too? Do I see a wind mill/generator in the back or a neibhors? I did a lot of research on that topic.==c

Very nice! anserhnlich1.... Hey you got wind power too? Do I see a wind mill/generator in the back or a neibhors? I did a lot of research on that topic.==c

There's a road on the other side of that barn (which is on my dads property) and that windmill is across the road at a neighbor's place. The windmill has not operated for years. I think the rotor went out on it and he said it was too costly to replace. However, when it was running she really did put out as we are on some high ground here.

That would be "SWEET";ex the best of both worlds..... I considered one on my property down here at the shore, "looked very hard" at it. I was a lab instructor at the CG academy and studied water and wind turbines extensivley. I only live on a 1/3 of an acre, between the bird lovers wanting to stop it, "I don't have a problem with, HUGE bird sanctuaries here" and permits $$$$$$, then a planning board:rolleyes: , then noise impact to the neighborhood study:mad:$$$ that I would have to pay for... it just wasn't worth it! I was looking at about $125.000 said and done. Thats a lot of electric bills. You have a great and beautiful place up there.:cool:

That's beautiful my southern neighbor. My .21 acres is being gulped up by my 4 1/2 cords of wood and the house. When I moved here before being a wood burner I didn't want too much grass to mow, well I every year I get more ahead on wood which in turn means I soon won't have any grass in the back to mow but now I'm running out of yard instead of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.