Wanted: Fabricator & then some...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Passarelli

Feb 7, 2013
Hi folks,

I'm just finishing up my design for a top loading stove. I am looking for someone to fabricate the prototype, and has experience with EPA testing, and of course fire insurance certification.

Some of the "features" include:

Size 18.5" wide x 40.5" tall (on 6" legs) x 42" deep (flat top)
Fuel capacity 9" x 18" x 27.5" -- Top Loading Removable Hopper
Viewing area 9.5" x 17" - 3/16" ceramic window
Top or Rear flue exhaust -- 6" flue pipe
Two 2" Stainless Steel Secondary Combustion tubes -- Replaceable
Independent Primary & Secondary air controls
5 Bar Grate 22.5" x 9" x 3/4"
Removable Ash Pan 28.5 x 7 1/4" x 2" deep (for full size firestarters)
Cross-flow Gasification, Down-flow Secondary air
Double (nested) lids on fuel hopper -- flat top surface
Electric Ignition 1,000 Watts -- Primary & Secondary air preheat.
1/4" Steel Exterior construction

Brick Complement (COTS High-Duty Fireclay type preferred):
36 pcs #1 Spilts (9 x 4.5 x 1.25)
8 pcs Soap Split (9 x 2.25 x 1.25)
2 pcs Side Skew (9 x 4.5-2.25 x 2.5")

Gross Weight ~710 lbs

I have applied techniques usually found in large commercial boilers. Parts that are exposed to high temperatures have multiple degrees of freedom to move and expand without creating stresses.

The combustion chamber is large to allow ample time for secondary combustion to complete. Products of combustion are forced down and then up along the side walls to surrender particles and heat in the stove rather than the flue.

The internal fuel hopper has a double lid; any pyrolysis gasses that seep past the inner lid are prevented from entering the room by the 2nd lid. Primary air is admitted at the rear of the grate, the airtight hopper only allows the primary gasses to flow along the bottom (lintel is 9" above the floor) into the secondary combustion chamber.

I apologize if this is coming across as a blatant commercial post. So far this is just an experimental design. I *hope* that I have created a device that brings together wood and air, and liberates heat in a safe and controlled manner. If I succeed then I fully intend to manufacture and sell these stoves under my Solar & Thermal brand. If not, then back to the drawing board with lessons learned.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• MA11 stove.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Paul Passarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.