Warm Up - Pellet Brand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiskid

Sep 26, 2017
PA
Do stoves "warm up" ? I had to open my air damper to 1/2 instead of 1/3 as it burned lazy when the air is still. I noticed that even tho I put my exhaust at a lower speed some pellets dance and pop out into the ash pan. Once the pellets drop in and get burning the jumping around stops. Also sparks fly when the pellets drop in. I assume the sparks are a normal issue, is that correct ? I also am wondering is it ok to just to burn box store pellets ? I got a bag of their cheapest pellets(energex) at the stove store that are cheaper (ten cents) that Lowe's pellets when you buy ten bags. All the different bags produce ash and clumps in the pot along with dirty the glass after a days run. Propane fill was $1.75/gal. so I didn't want to spend a lot in pellets. Is it ok when stores have there pellet skids stored outdoors ? Thanks. GBY

If the pellets are being blown out of the burn pot there is to much
combustion air . A shower of sparks when pellets drop into burn
pot is normal and a wanted feature as that is ash being removed
from burn pot.
Not all pellets are the same find one that works well in your stove .
They will all burn but with varying degrees of heat output .
Pellets stored outside with manufactures cover on them are generally
OK With out the cover must be protected from rain/snow like under a roof
If they are in the open uncovered I would not want them