Was hoping for some advice on my insert -- unknown brand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redwood78

Nov 15, 2014
PA
Like the title says, I was hoping to get some advice on this insert [correction, zero clearance fireplace]. It is original to our home, which was built in 1987 by Orleans.. I really don't know a thing about fireplaces. I've been here for a while now and would really like to try to use this thing to its potential -- whatever that happens to be. It seems that the builder did not install a blower fan, and unfortunately also did not run a power line to the outlet box in the insert (darn). Questions (sorry, I have a several):

Can anyone identify the brand/model?

Is this insert any good?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what brand/type/design blower I should be looking for? (Not that my photo helps that much, but the opening is a little under 3.5 inches high.)

Any thoughts on how I can get power to the blower/insert given the builder sadly did not hook it up?

Thanks a lot. I've learned a lot here already.

Attachments

• Was hoping for some advice on my insert -- unknown brand
    IMG_20141115_083337277.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 128
    IMG_20141115_083430080.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 134
    IMG_20141115_083453758.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 120
    IMG_20141115_083550878.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Ok that doesn't look like an insert at all it looks like a zero clearance fireplace. look around there is should be a tag somewhere telling you the model

If you plan on using the fireplace for heating, you will be in for a big disappointment. A builder-grade fireplace sends most of the heat up the flue. You could potentially put a rear-vented stove in front of the fireplace and run a liner up the chimney pipe. The critical measurements will be the height of your fireplace opening measured from the hearth and the depth of the hearth.

If you plan on using the fireplace for heating, you will be in for a big disappointment. A builder-grade fireplace sends most of the heat up the flue. You could potentially put a rear-vented stove in front of the fireplace and run a liner up the chimney pipe. The critical measurements will be the height of your fireplace opening measured from the hearth and the depth of the hearth.

thanks.. i may look into that. i'm questioning whether it is even worth the effort to put a blower into what i currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.