Was your epa wood burning stove, a leaning curve for you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just got my Blaze King Princess installed on March 10. I’ve had experience recently with my in-laws new Blaze King, King 40, so I did have some experience from a week of using theirs in January. There is a bit more to the use of the EPA catalytic stoves, but it’s by no means rocket science. I don’t know how I did without this Blaze King all these years. I can’t wait for next winter! Lol. They’re awesome stoves. The time between reloads is amazing. I highly recommend them. Being so good for the environment is kind of just a bonus for the user.

Anyway yes there will be a learning curve for every stove, epa or not. Even switching between epa stoves, there will be a learning curve. How steep that curve is, depends on your prior experience but its certainly not rocket science.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EbS-P and Itslay90
Anyway yes there will be a learning curve for every stove, epa or not. Even switching between epa stoves, there will be a learning curve. How steep that curve is, depends on your prior experience but its certainly not rocket science.
Well thank you

Dry wood really helps the curve. As does a thermometer.

After 11 years of burning I feel I'm still fine tuning my burning. As ebs-p added, dry wood really helps the curve.

I think managing the proper burn rate (heat output) has been the biggest learning curve...every year! One day it's 48 and the next 75, which requires me to watch the weather forecasts more closely. I have a King 40 and "normally" I load the stove full each and every time. However I tend to not do that as much during the early shoulder seasons with the swings in day time highs.

My learning curve is more about the weather, the type of fuels and their attributes in burning and draft than it is the stove itself. To be fair, I went from a pellet stove to a early EPA stove to BK, so there was and always will be some learning, but again for me it's not som much about the stove as it is the above influences on how the stove will heat my home.

BKVP

Reactions: HuskyMakk
It can be, and you get better at it year after year. It does require paying attention to what works, what doesn't and why. My first few years I thought totally blackened glass was going to be the norm. Now It comes natural to do most ever burn, big or small, a few hours or days and the glass has no more than a little white haze. In those early years my oak was not seasoned as well as it is now. But I think it's that I run the fire cycle much better now.
If you know the basics of how to get a good hot fire going, it should be a easy learning curve. The goal for most of us wood burners is to minimize the work and time. I try to make the house temps so comfortable you can't tell the stove is the only heat regardless of the outside temps.

Most new stoves will have a learning curve, especially if the design, firebox construction, or technology is different. It often takes a month or so to get used to a new stove, especially when the draft dramatically increases due to a sudden drop in outside temps. The learning curve can be harder if the stove is located in a basement due to the remote, out-of-sight location. A wireless thermometer helps in that regard.

Even after one is used to the stove, there is still some continuous learning due to the variations in the wood fuel and draft. Burning wood is part art and part science.