Washing machine turned fire pit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
SS tub from front loader. IMG_20130921_195634_758.jpg

Love it!

* Burst of laughter *

Pass the marshmallows!

Honey, have you seen my good wool socks?

Now we know where that missing one went to!

It makes a good warm weather pit...but the tub blocks too much radiant heat. Got cold sitting by it last night and it was only in the 50's.

Dad made a couple of them out of porcelain covered washer tubs back in early 80's.Used the outer drum from old dryer to cover it when not in use.Plus a metal lid from 55 gallon steel barrel covering that center hole with a chunk or two of wood to weigh it down (I can surely spare a couple ;) ) to keep out the rain & snow when not being used.. Sitting off the ground on 8 x 8 x 16 concrete blocks I grabbed off a jobsite someplace. Years ago when I was staying there 2-3 days at a time I spent many nights around that fire drinking beer & roasting bratwurst & chicken....

A regular round 20"-22" grill from either open BBQ or a Weber kettle fits perfectly on that center post,you can spin it around with a long furnace poker or other iron rod,to make sure meat cooks evenly.Much simpler than having to flip everything over.

Attachments

• firepit washer tub 10-16-11.jpg
    firepit washer tub 10-16-11.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 11,238
Reactions: flyingcow
Thanks Lukem. my front loader blew up a month ago. Just getting ready to haul it off. I'll see if i can get the drum out.
Recip saw...best friend on this job.

Recip saw...best friend on this job.

I've had the same Milwaukee sawzall for over 25 yrs, one the most used power tools I've owned. Thanks for the suggestion. Matter of fact my 14 yrold daughter said she wanted to help take the drum out. Think I'll just sit back and watch.

The drum was a bear to get out. Ended up breaking apart the plastic outer tub and cutting the shaft off. I think you need a special tool to do it the right way. I would have used the hot wrench but the tank was empty.

The drum was a bear to get out. Ended up breaking apart the plastic outer tub and cutting the shaft off. I think you need a special tool to do it the right way. I would have used the hot wrench but the tank was empty.

Or as i refer to it, the smoke wrench. we'll see if we can get it out and post a pic of the redneck fire pit. Thanks

I'm agitated that I don't know where to get one of those tubs.

Unobscured view of the burn cycle.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Just watching the fire through all those little holes makes my head "spin".
Bet those socks get nice and dry in there.
Better check the lint screen, don't want to start a fire!

It's getting hard to scrub through the fabric of this posting. It's been washed over so hard that all that remains are loose threads.

Somebody call the pun police!!

Reactions: HDRock
Can't. Urine the wrong state. Their jurisdiction is limited to Punnsylvania. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.