waste oil furnace advice before I buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
I am needing to step away from wood burning after more than 10 years. A local fella has access to plenty of used oil for such a furnace. My hydronic system should be set up for this transition. I just wanted some thoughts if anyone can share expectations. I hope I posted this in the right forum, I usually live in the wood stove room.

Probably needs to be in the boiler room...maybe a mod can move it for ya...

Hi
I have used a Reznor waste oil furnace for the last 19 years to heat my shop.
I would have no problems ordering a new Reznor if i needed another waste oil furnace.
I have over 20000 hrs on mine and know it pretty well.I have used everything from old gas,veggie oil,50 yr old diesel ect.It has 4 cleanable filters in line ,and i clean the ash out around 500 hrs,if i mix 20% gas in the oil it will get around 600 hrs before cleaning and if i run veggie oil it will go 750 or longer depending on the ratio of used oil to veggie oil.

Hi
I have used a Reznor waste oil furnace for the last 19 years to heat my shop.
I would have no problems ordering a new Reznor if i needed another waste oil furnace.
I have over 20000 hrs on mine and know it pretty well.I have used everything from old gas,veggie oil,50 yr old diesel ect.It has 4 cleanable filters in line ,and i clean the ash out around 500 hrs,if i mix 20% gas in the oil it will get around 600 hrs before cleaning and if i run veggie oil it will go 750 or longer depending on the ratio of used oil to veggie oil.

Thanks. Do you have to guess when the filters are dirty?

Thanks. Do you have to guess when the filters are dirty?
Hi
There is a vacuum gauge on the housing of the main filter.I clean them all when it gets into the red.
After 18 yrs i have gotten pretty good at guessing the problems.Knock on wood.