Water in my Clean-Out - Could it cause other issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
I know the cause of my problem, Hear me out for one minute - My house is built into the side of a hill, it has an exterior block/clay chimney (Clean-Out door is outside)
The chimney is on the downhill corner of the house and after heavy rains and/or snow I have found the clean-out with a few inches of water in the bottom.
I realize that I need to install a perimeter drain on that side of the house and will be doing so in the next couple of weeks. BTW, the whole house has gutters draining
well away from foundation and the chimney has a cap and I burn Dry Wood so I know this is a ground water issue...

NOW THE QUESTION!! Do you think that having water in the chimney base, mixing with the wood smoke, is creating a perfect condition for creosote??

Thanks For Input, Rob

I get water in my cleanout too. My cleanout is far below where the smoke enters the chimney so I feel there is nothing to worry about in my case. If the smoke goes just over the water I think the water would probably cool it off and give you a chance for creosote. Water has also been known to puddle from condensation dripping down the walls of the chimney.

Matt

Maybe running the smoke over water will clean it up a bit, like a big hookah.

BeGreen said:
Maybe running the smoke over water will clean it up a bit, like a big hookah.

Yeah, but I never had to use a shop vac to change my hookah water... :coolsmile:

We all came out to Rob's house
By the lake region's shore
To make fire with the Catskill
We didn't know what's in store
Limestone and others
Were at the best place around
But some rainstorm on the hillside
Our old fire tried to drown
Smoke on the water, fire in the sky
Smoke on the water.

You make Deep Purple proud BeGreen!!
And yes, It's always a good time at Rob's House...

Do I smell a Record Contract?

Depends on what cooking :)

The water you're seeing may not be a problem insofar as your stove is concerned, but I'm a big fan of keeping all water away from my house. That may just mean grading, or it may mean a french drain, or a buried pipe that takes the runoff to daylight. All depends on the specific situation. My home has a combination of those things. I don't like water up against/going in under my house, so I take whatever steps are necessary to keep that from happening.

BG - I think you've really had just about enough of that red wine for tonight. :p Rick

I swear that is woodsmoke coming out of my chimney... ;-P

fossil said:
BG - I think you've really had just about enough of that red wine for tonight. :p Rick

Hey, I never have a glass before 5:30pm - somewhere.

fossil said:
The water you're seeing may not be a problem insofar as your stove is concerned, but I'm a big fan of keeping all water away from my house. That may just mean grading, or it may mean a french drain, or a buried pipe that takes the runoff to daylight. All depends on the specific situation. My home has a combination of those things. I don't like water up against/going in under my house, so I take whatever steps are necessary to keep that from happening.

Yes, Fossil I have been studying up on french drains for the last couple of days and I think that will probably cure the water collection problem. From what I've read I was concerned that the chimney always being damp may actually create a creosote breeding ground. I'm going to tend to the clean-out again tommorow cuz it's been raining all day...

Status
Not open for further replies.