Water in Tee Clean Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Williab1980

Feb 5, 2017
Eaton Rapids
I purchased a Pelpro 130 last year and had it installed by a HVAC company. They hooked it into a chimney that was existing; previously used for a wood stove. A new liner was put in. This year we cleaned it as recommended. I clean the glass and within a couple of hours it is covered in black soot. We open the the tee clean out moisture comes out around 2-4 ounces approximately. We had the chimney swept and inspection and they found no issues on inspection. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

The length and size of the fluepipe could be an issue. If the flue is too large it is thought that it could cool too quickly hurting the draft and not allowing the vapor to exit the flue. Also you should not be getting soot in the stove. I would work on getting a good burn and see if the rest solves itself. Try to add air to the fire by whatever method the stove uses. Open damper or increase draft motor speed for a leaner fire. Also it is important that door seals etc be tight. Their is a dollar bill test that can be easily searched to check. One issue could be effecting the other quite possibly.
Check the manual for specs on venting. Even though an HVAC company installed the flue they may not be familiar with pellet stoves.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question !
Is there a cap on the termination point of the chimney ?

Reactions: alternativeheat
Besides the rain cap idea mentioned ( I assume there is one, if not then get one) then I think you need to increase air to your fire. This will increase flame temps and stack temps, it is conceivable that your installation is creating condensation with too cool a burn. Same for the dirty glass.

Be sure that you are cleaning everything in the stove and not just dusting it out lol.

It sounds like the stove is exhausted up a brick chimney? May be a struggle to get more air if the home is insulated well and there is no OAK (outside air kit). OAK installation may be more difficult with a brick chimney.

Reactions: alternativeheat
It was stated that a new liner was put in the existing wood stove chimney but what size ?

Again, keep those stack temps up. One nice thing about a Harman is the ESP probe does this automatically but on those stoves without an exhaust probe, you just need to maintain enough air mechanically or by way of button control and exhaust fan speed on some.