Water leaking down the flue pipe!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millertime_9

Feb 3, 2020
G72 8ax
Hi all - I have trickles of water coming down the outside of the flue pipe, in the house

I know this is maybe daft - but does anything look askew here?

Fact the water trickles down the actual outside of the flue pipe would suggest maybe the flashing, or the collar maybe?

Any help much appreciated, thank you

Screenshot_20231217_145901_Gallery.jpg

Is there an attic? Can you see the pipe where t comes through the roof on the inside? Is the storm collar sealed to the pipe? That roof is pretty but I'm glad it's yours and not mine.

Is there an attic? Can you see the pipe where t comes through the roof on the inside? Is the storm collar sealed to the pipe? That roof is pretty but I'm glad it's yours and not mine.
Haha yeah it's an old farmhouse
No attic, no

I was wondering whether it could be the collar...

Is that the bit that separates the dark grey part of the flue from the chrome section?

It's strange the water runs right down the pipe... must be something to do with that?

That looks like a custom made flashing, the dark gray part. And it looks like the stainless pipe, the class A chimney, runs through it. The water must be getting between the 2 and running down the pipe. The flared piece, the storm collar should be sealed to prevent that.

That looks like Lead flashing. You need to get up there and look at where the chimney pipe goes thru the Lead flashing. There is probably some type of hi temp sealant there. Good chance the sealant has failed.

Also check around the top of the storm collar.

Ok thank you all, so likely its needing sealed either top of the collar or maybe inside it?

Is that a job for a normal roofer or is a woodburner installer needed?

Ps thank you for taking the time to answer - this place is superb

A roofer would be the first person I’d call. I’d be sure to tell them it’s an older slate roof. Some companies specialize in slate. Slate is slippery and a steep pitch at its best, at its worst it’s also brittle. Throw in some roofers who cheaped out and used steel nails 100 years ago that are now rusting out and it could be disastrous if the wrong person gets up there.

Sometimes water can follow down a seam in chimney pipe. Is this chimney pipe seamed or welded flush?

What is that short joint of chimney pipe above the storm collar and flashing. Is it necessary?

Reactions: bigealta
Sometimes water can follow down a seam in chimney pipe. Is this chimney pipe seamed or welded flush?

What is that short joint of chimney pipe above the storm collar and flashing. Is it necessary?
Good question! I'm not sure
I'll get the roofer up and give the general collar a look
Could water also be blowing up under the lead?
The wind here gets crazy...

Yes, it's possible if the rain goes horizontal at times.
Ok thanks all, will get a roofer out to see
Thanks again, will feedback once I get to the bottom of it!

Ps if it is from under the lead, take it I can just shape it back down or is there something I could do?

I could also imagine a scenario where water filters through the slate and runs the tar paper until it gets under the flashing. In addition to the other suggestions.

Ok thanks all, will get a roofer out to see
Thanks again, will feedback once I get to the bottom of it!

Ps if it is from under the lead, take it I can just shape it back down or is there something I could do?

If it’s coming up from the bottom, you can use a backer and silicone to seal the water out.

Honestly i'd leave it for an old school really good roofer. To many risks to causing more damage with the slate and lead flashing. And i'm one who wants to diy everything. But not in this case. And i'm actually a decent roofer. Slate is a rare specialty.

A roofer would be the first person I’d call. I’d be sure to tell them it’s an older slate roof. Some companies specialize in slate. Slate is slippery and a steep pitch at its best, at its worst it’s also brittle. Throw in some roofers who cheaped out and used steel nails 100 years ago that are now rusting out and it could be disastrous if the wrong person gets up there.
Agree with getting a roofer. With that custom slate you really need an experienced roofer in slate. Not easy to come by at least in the US.