Water Softener Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Well, I finally got around to buying some salt now that it is getting a bit drier in the house. Before I filled the brine tank, I figured I'd clean it out some being that it was empty and had crud in the bottom. I disconnected the lines to the talk and cleaned it out really good, hooked it back up in what I though was the correct way. It has cycled quite a few times since, but the water in the shower just doesn't seem as 'slippery' as it usually is. I'm curious if I connected something wrong? There's 3 lines, the 3/4" or so drain which is pretty obvious, a smaller 3/8" or so line that I connceted to the internal 2" or so 'dip tube' (nipple connection that stick thru the side of the tank) for lack of a better word, and an even smaller line that goes thru the wall of the tank and connects to a nipple fitting that sticks thru the big tube and connects to another tube inside the dip tube. Did I miss anything? I have yet to trace the smaller lines back to the resin tank, I'm concerned I've got something flip flopped. Can anyone tell which lines go where from the resin tank to the brine tank? Maybe the resin tank is just getting tired, but when I had salt in it a couple months back all seemed well. Thanks all.

I just went through a water softener thing-the pelletized salt solidified to a solid mass which I had to cut out. I found out that Culligan recommends the crystal variety.
Did you put water in the bottom of the bringe tank before you put salt back in? That's what my sketchy manual says and the Culligan man suggested.
I bought some test strips to more objectively test the hardness: http://www.gemplers.com/product/RETS20/Total-Hardness-Test-Strip-Kit .
They seem to work and correlated with the slippery feel as well.

Thanks Velvet. I did not add water, does your manual say why? I wonder if it needs to have enough in there to seal up the bottom of the 'dip tub'? I suction thing maybe?

No, but I think the reason is that during the regen cycle it draws the brine solution from the bottom and it doesn't put any water back until after the regen cycle is over, so there wouldn't be any brine to bring up if there was no water to begin with. Also, after you fill it up by putting the salt in over that 6" or whatever of water you have to wait some hours for the salt to dissolve before you hit the regen button. I'm really not too sure on any of this, except I won't use those salt pellets again.

Thanks again, I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home. The only pellets I buy get burned, never tried the salt ones yet! As far as salt, I get whatever is on sale, and the pellets never are. Almost time for a beer, been a long week. Happy Friday.

It worked Velvet, thanks, that was it. Salt pellets don't work in a pellet stove, fyi. Sunflower seeds and lentils do, dog and cat food too. Better put the beer can down now before I get in trouble. Thanks again, Bob.

I use potassium chloride. Never had any issues with it, and its healthy to drink and water plants and gardens with.

Status
Not open for further replies.