BenW Posted By BenW, May 1, 2017 at 9:02 PM

1. BenW

BenW
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2008
    Loc:
    Leominster,MA
    I just recently purchased an old Aqua II model 500 wood boiler. I have fired it up and have been using it to heat domestic hot water for about a month now.

I would like to add some boiler water treatment to it. Does it make sense to drain it again and then add chemical or just add it now and hope for the best?

I will be using some Central Boiler treatment chemical as the manufacturer of my boiler no longer exists.

2. Yooper Guy

Yooper Guy
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 20, 2016
    Loc:
    Upper Michigan
    I'd contact Image Supply Inc, Lumberton NC. I have an empyre pro 400. Empyre also folded and screwed their customers leaving them with no service or warranty.

Image Supply will test water from all stove companies and has specs for most stoves. I send them a sample once a year. They sell me treatment and let me know how much to add. They did ask me to drain stove and start fresh.

Check their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U.P.Boiler likes this.
  3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Boilers are boilers - treatment should be mostly the same no matter the brand. Test, then treat. I see no reason to ever drain a boiler unless it's to fix a leak or re-plumb something or you know there is a LOT of crud inside that needs to be cleaned out.

Is this an open boiler?

4. BenW

BenW
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2008
    Loc:
    Leominster,MA
    Thanks for the information, I think i'll just leave the water in there test, treat and keep an eye on it. It is an open unpressurized type unit and the water looked fairly clean when I drained it to relocate to my house.

5. BenW

BenW
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2008
    Loc:
    Leominster,MA
    Thanks for the info, i'll keep that in mind after I use up the treatment chemical I have