Waterford 104 for a sauna?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EvanS0001

Mar 30, 2021
Amherst MA
Hello fine folks at Hearth.com! I've build a sauna at home which is almost ready to go -- we just need the stove at this point. I've been assuming that with some patience, I'd find a used Jotul 602 at a decent price, but the ones I've found either have cracked backs, or the top access for the pipe is rusted on. Since it will be in a 7 x 7 room, I'm hesitant to take any chances at all.
I just found a Waterford 104, which looks like a clone of the Jotul. Poking around this site it looks to be well-reviewed, and the stove looks to be in good shape. Any reason that won't do the trick as well as the Jotul? And anything in particular I should ask the seller (who has never fired it up) to look at?
Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!
Evan

If its the more vintage 104, just make sure the burn plates and baffle are all there and in good shape. And no cracks anywhere in the cast.
If its a 104mk-II, then I dont want to say run, but be careful, it has a whole different baffle set up thats 2 pieces sandwiched together that wasnt the best design, the bottom would flare out and its a $300 part. Not to mention the mk2 has bricks that are a pain instead of burn plates.