Weak Flame on Heat n Glo 6000CLX-IPI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don G

Oct 22, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hello,

Upon starting our Heat n Glo insert this season, the pilot lights fine, however the flame height is only about 10-20% of "normal" (at any of the 5 settings via the remote control). The pilot light appears to be the normal size and is steady.

There are no obvious blockages in the exhaust. All other gas appliances (upstream and downstream of insert) work fine.

I suspect a faulty gas valve, but my experience with these types of repairs are limited. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for your time!

Don

Last edited:
My guess would be a spider's nest in the gas feed behind the burner orifice.
To access that, you will have to pull the burner, remove the orifice
& sweep the tube with a Q-Tip or pipe cleaner.
If you don't feel you can do it, call for service.

Hi, I have the same issue. I had a dealer install a Heat N Glo 6000clx 2 years ago and didn't use my fireplace over the summer. I fired it up in November and the flame height is really low (or the pilot lights but the flames don't go. ) I had someone come out to clean out the fireplace and there wasn't anything in the orofice. Now we think it's the gas valve but I am not sure how to fix this. The dealer - California Window and Fire wants $250 dollars just to look at it. Any advice?

Hi, I have the same issue. I had a dealer install a Heat N Glo 6000clx 2 years ago and didn't use my fireplace over the summer. I fired it up in November and the flame height is really low (or the pilot lights but the flames don't go. ) I had someone come out to clean out the fireplace and there wasn't anything in the orofice. Now we think it's the gas valve but I am not sure how to fix this. The dealer - California Window and Fire wants $250 dollars just to look at it. Any advice?
Did someone actually pull the burner & remove the burner orifice?
The blockage is not IN the orifice. It's in the tube BEHIND the orifice.

I have a 6000TR IPI. Pilot is fine. Burner only lights when glass is open. Blue flames. Stays burning when glass closed, but will not restart. Could this be a burner blockage or air intake problem?

I will look for clogs weather permitting. Thank you.
The exhaust has no restrictions on the 6000TR IPI. I cannot get a clear view of the intake air, but there is a draft. The size of flame does not change when I adjust the size control and the flame does not change when I open the glass. I am struggling with why the burner only ignites when I open the glass, but will not respond to adjustments or reopening the class. Could the burner valve be faulty or stuck causing the blue flame? Thank you.

I would still lean towards the venting. Blue flames are a sign of improper ATF mixture. You may have to remove the cap & make sure all vent sections are properly seated together. If a section becomes separated, it will allow the exhaust to be brought back in with the combustion air. Are you getting soot build up on the logs & glass?

I would still lean towards the venting. Blue flames are a sign of improper ATF mixture. You may have to remove the cap & make sure all vent sections are properly seated together. If a section becomes separated, it will allow the exhaust to be brought back in with the combustion air. Are you getting soot build up on the logs & glass?
Thank you for the info. No soot on the logs or glass. I will inspect the venting further.

Damn. It the vent cap accessible? When I was a service tech, I investigated an issue similar to yours. I dropped a tennis ball down the exhaust section of the venting & knocked a portion of a bee hive out of it. It solved the issue.

Damn. It the vent cap accessible? When I was a service tech, I investigated an issue similar to yours. I dropped a tennis ball down the exhaust section of the venting & knocked a portion of a bee hive out of it. It solved the issue.
Weather permitting I can get on the roof with a ladder and access the vent cap with a shorter ladder. I will give your suggestion a try. Thank you.