Weatherman Giving Me A Couple Of Nights Off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Low of 54 tonight after all of these nights in the high teens and low twenties. High of 64 with rain all day tomorrow. Then back into the deep freeze Thursday. The stove is cold and I am going to bed early tonight. Sorry Jay Leno. See ya Thursday night. :coolgrin:

What he giveth to you he taketh from me.

LLigetfa said:
What he giveth to you he taketh from me.

Thanks. I will take good care of it. :lol:

Rest well. See ya tomorrow. Rick

BB, I think Jay's moving to the 10 PM slot, NBC is still trying to survive. So you'll be able to watch him and got to bed early too.

Ya, NJ, in the 40s tonight and maybe 60 tomorrow. Gives a chance to clean out the stove and clean the glass.

Enjoy.

Temp outside at almost 8 pm is 57.
Stove is still 160 degrees and I took all the ashes and coals out at 5 pm today.
I want to check out the catalyst and clean it tomorrow. Hope the soapstone is cool by then. Then it is back to burning on Thursday.
Got to love Va. it can be in the 20's one day and in the 70's the next and then back to the cold.

pinewoodburner said:
Temp outside at almost 8 pm is 57.
Stove is still 160 degrees and I took all the ashes and coals out at 5 pm today.
I want to check out the catalyst and clean it tomorrow. Hope the soapstone is cool by then. Then it is back to burning on Thursday.
Got to love Va. it can be in the 20's one day and in the 70's the next and then back to the cold.

Hope soapstone is cool....

I wanted to ask, how long does it take for your stove/insert to cool down? My Quadrafire 4100I has an amazing heat retention, for example last night at midnight I put in three "regular" size splits of well seasoned hardwood, no where near a full fire box, and went to bed with the fan on automatic. At 8 AM the fan had turned off, but the glass on the door was still almost too hot to touch. Being a warm day no restart was done. Even at 12 PM the glass was still hot, and by 7 PM still warm, all this from coals that were/are out of sight beneath the ash. Is this typical? I'd expect the insert to be no more than "luke" warm in the morning, and room temperature by noon time. Keep in mind my last load at midnight the night before was just three 16" long moderate sized splits, not rounds or heavy/thick splits.

I assume as long as the stove/insert is warm to the touch there is no heat loss going on, i.e., warmed room air leaking up the chimney. I note here the air control does not completely shut down the air supply to the chimney. That's another question I have, when the stove/insert is off and the air control shut down as far as it will go, how much warm air is being lost up the chimney?

Hum, did I go too far off the subject of this thread? Sorry if so, but the side discussions are sometimes the good additions.

Yeah we're currently getting your 50 degree temps and rain in Maine right now. Suppose to cool off fast though this evening and turn back to snow. Talking potential Noreaster for Thurs/Fri in our neck of the woods.

Tfin said:
Yeah we're currently getting your 50 degree temps and rain in Maine right now. Suppose to cool off fast though this evening and turn back to snow. Talking potential Noreaster for Thurs/Fri in our neck of the woods.

same here.. 57* right now and raining. However, it is supposed to drop a bit tonight and have a chance of a storm tomorrow through fri, as you said!! I think i'll fire up the stove tonight, though, as i planned on being in the basement most of the night.

Yup 2deg monday morning, 4 on tuesday and 58 today. Which is good cause I have to let it go out and tighten the andirons anyway.

It was almost T shirt weather when I took the dogs out at 0500...now it starting to snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.