Wee bit Smokey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Little smokey here this morning, been smokey all week, today the worst though.

PXL_20230518_135137311.jpg PXL_20230518_125928790.jpg PXL_20230518_124405133.jpg PXL_20230518_124400262.jpg

That’s rough. We had one Smokey day here as they controlled burning the managed pine forests. My throat was as sore for 3 days and it was just some bad afternoon. And not nearly as bad as what you are experiencing.

Ugh, this is so early. Those fires (at least 30 major ones in Alberta) are going to take a long time to go out. The smoke has come down around us too but so far it is in the upper atmosphere. Hope it stays there. Something tells me this is going to be a hard summer for wildfires. Higher temps and below normal precipitation are predicted for the northwest.

A friend took this picture of last night's smoke-filtered sunset with a long telephoto.

sunset.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ABMax24
It's bad, it's been very hot here for April and May, no appreciable rain since at least the beginning of April.

Never seen a fire season like this, never mind in May.

We've got firefighters from all over Western Canada, Oregon, Australia, New Zealand. Locally there's a couple of Chinook Helicopters hauling buckets, think they're from Montana. Hopefully we get some rain soon, because when fires start happening elsewhere these resources will get pulled back home.

Reactions: sloeffle
Here I was hoping for less fires

Not smoky here, but been hazy for the past couple days. Makes for cool looking sunrises and sunsets.

Not good. Still, without exaggeration, for perspective that would be a relatively clear day in Delhi in the winter.

We got a bunch of rain Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Locally all the fires are now out and the air is clear.

The firefighters are still working diligently to put out hotspots, but for now the situation has subsided

That's great news! I hope things continue to settle down.
Here is a local UW weather professor's take on the wildfires. He notes that May is a time of peak fires in Alberta.

That's great news! I hope things continue to settle down.
Here is a local UW weather professor's take on the wildfires. He notes that May is a time of peak fires in Alberta.

While I certainly agree the data shows current wildfire activity isn't abnormal, it sure doesn't feel that way. As a kid I never remembered the city be smoked out from the forest fires, never-mind multiple days to weeks in a row, or multiple times per year. The last 5 years have been quite bad for that up here. The proximity of fires to population centers is also becoming more common.

I did pull historic weather data, and it does support his findings. Precipitation hasn't changed within any acceptable confidence interval, nor have May temperatures changed. However, our average annual temps have increased almost 2 degrees Celsius in the last 60 years when plotted against a simple linear regression, or about 1.5 degrees when using a 2nd order polynomial regression.

Reactions: begreen
I don't always agree with his POV.