Weight Loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bread is my food to avoid.
Yeah me too. And just after i figured out how to make good bread and pizza. Pasta too. Very much miss that. I cut it all out for a few months to break the cycle. Now i've added just a small amount back in. But the key again is breaking the cycle.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Yeah me too. And just after i figured out how to make good bread and pizza. Pasta too. Very much miss that. I cut it all out for a few months to break the cycle. Now i've added just a small amount back in. But the key again is breaking the cycle.
Having gone through the diet cycle several times including the intermittent fasting diet that was big a few years back, there are no real tricks. Its level of activity balanced against calorie input. When I hike especially in the summer, I have to use electrolyte supplements and they can add or subtract a few pounds in "water weight" therefore that is why I look at the trend in weight loss.

The big fight is in the fall into winter when my activity level drops and I want to hibernate, real easy to put on pounds fast with the shorter days. Once the snow gets on the ground I snowshoe and that gets my activity level back up.

Its level of activity balanced against calorie input.

In the end, yes. What I have found is that some calorie sources are far more satiating than others so you're not starving all the time if you are trying to control calories.

It's interesting that when I was section hiking the AT and having to carry my food, my food had to be optimized for maximum calories for least pounds. My eventual "daily hiker fuel" was two instant oatmeals and one hot chocolate in the AM, Nutella, Peanut Butter, tortillas and beef/turkey jerky for trail lunch/snacks and lipton rice dinners with dehydrated veggies and meat added along with 1/2 a box of jello instant pudding using powdered milk. Even with that I would get into the thru hikers diet, eat everything I want as much as want, I just have to carry it for a week and still lose weight. I normally did it a week at a time but thru hikers do it for 4 to 5 months. They get scrawny by the end and males tend to loose more weight than females but many have a tough time getting their metabolism to work right post hike and gain much of if back 3 to 6 months after the hike.

I'm back at 197.2 this morning with a calorie intake of 1172 yesterday, I did do three sessions on the treadmill yesterday for a total of 51 minutes, 2.5 miles with 342 calories burned. Today my calorie intake is 1440 with my only exercise being, taking care of the flowers at the cemeteries and cutting back the grass that was growing over a veterans memorial marker.

My goal was 197 by or on this weekend so I'll change that to 195.

Reactions: mcdougy
With a few more calories yesterday, I was still at 197.2 this morning.

Friday and Saturday will be the last days on my weight loss kick and then I'll eat a certain amount of calories to either maintain or gain some weight. If I hit 195 for my weight on Sunday morning, I'll eat 2370 calories a day, that should keep me at that weight according to the calorie calculator I use.

Sunday night will be London Broil cooked on the grill with mashed potatoes with a hot salad for me and then Berried Delight for dessert.

The scale said 195 this morning, I didn't expect that much weight loss from the previous day (197.2) so I'll stay off the treadmill and increase my calorie intake today. After lunch my calorie intake will be 835, I should look for a total of 1300 to 1400 today.

I actually had a higher calorie intake yesterday from what I posted above, 2121 which put a pound on the old frame, 196 this morning.

Today it will be lower (I'm at 1118 after supper) I'm not sure I'll add anything tonight but if I do it will be 2 small snicker bars, I think they're 80 calories per bar.

195 this morning, supper will taste good tonight. Even though I'll be off the diet I've been on, I will continue calorie counting that will keep me at a certain weight.

Calorie control seems to be the key. I have added lunch and have been stable for a couple of weeks now. This includes some eating out and splurge dinners.

Calorie control seems to be the key. I have added lunch and have been stable for a couple of weeks now. This includes some eating out and splurge dinners.
Yes, I've learned that since starting counting calories near the end of my diet. We had a nice meal on Sunday night with Berried Delight for dessert, that was a night of not counting calories.

I still like the wraps with lettuce and a few other items on it so those will continue, not many calories in those (lunch & dinner) that should keep my weight down and leave room for some nice meals during the week if we want.

I hadn't been on the scales in a while and with all the desserts we've had I expected more of a weight gain but the scales said 198.2 this morning. Staying at or around 198 will be my goal, my calorie intake will be between 2100 - 2300 depending on whether I'm on the treadmill or doing some firewood work outside.

I think 2388 is the calorie intake they recommend if staying at 198 is your goal.

I will only be getting on the scales on Wednesday and Sunday mornings, I was 198.2 this morning. Spaghetti sauce, pasta with a Delmonico for tomorrow night so that should be good for another 2 or 3 pounds.

The Delmonico with pasta was worth the "weight".

Weight Loss

Reactions: Prometeo
This morning the scales read 198.6 so after a good workout today putting in some firewood, tomorrow night will be a steak and mashed potato night with a hot tomato salad.

I weighed myself after coffee and a shower this morning at 199.4. Most of the time I weigh a few pounds heavier after everything in the morning so tonight I had a few plates of pasta since I'll be working some of it off tomorrow.

I am only weighing myself weekly now. My weight has not varied by more than a pound in spite of adding lunch and some dessert occasionally. If I can maintain this through the holiday season, that will be great.

The scales read 197.6 this morning so we had some nice Delmonico's cooked on the grill tonight with spinach and I had a hot tomato salad.

I put new batteries in the digital scale last night, this morning my weight was 198.2.

199.4 this morning.

The four digits that came up this morning........200.6. I'll start back on the treadmill tonight, I would like to be 197 by the end of the week.

I have another appointment with the Doc coming up so I would like to keep my weight below 200.

You should put some music to your diet and dance that will help--lol..Now that I got my speakers fixed after being ripped off twice I will give you a song to dance by---clancey

You should put some music to your diet and dance that will help--lol..Now that I got my speakers fixed after being ripped off twice I will give you a song to dance by---clancey

Excellent song, how have you been @clancey ? The days and nights are getting cooler here, how's the weather in your area?