Weight Loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Im 38 and my metabolism finally took a dive, everything I was eating finally started to stick to me, I shot up to 220, and my waist went to 36" from my forever 34".
My wake up call was going to our live burn training and feeling like death after 3 evolutions, BP 186/86, pulse after 10min of being outside 160, overall general hearth - dismal
I went back to my old gym again, started mid July, it was tough, but I took long babysteps w/ cardio and free weights, this is my 8th week now and I've done a complete 180, I'm running 4 days a week min 3 miles, I'm lifting weights that I was lifting in my mid 20's, I dropped back down to 34" waist, and my body weight is 200 flat, but the definition that I have gained is something else, bigger arms, bigger legs, lost my stomach and can start to see some abs, so I'm on the right track.
I had a pretty physical trail rescue last week during the heat, 5 mile round trip walk in w/ elevation change of 900ft, got done with the rescue and went to the rehab, the emts took my vitals and cut my loose immediately BP 132/74, pulse 104, felt like a million bucks, the rest of my crew had to sit for 30min and be monitored, so I'm happy and going to keep going with my routine.

Well done! It feels good to have one's body back in tune. I've managed to keep my 25 lbs. from coming back so far. The real challenge will be making it through winter and the holiday seasons.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Im 38 and my metabolism finally took a dive, everything I was eating finally started to stick to me, I shot up to 220, and my waist went to 36" from my forever 34".
My wake up call was going to our live burn training and feeling like death after 3 evolutions, BP 186/86, pulse after 10min of being outside 160, overall general hearth - dismal
I went back to my old gym again, started mid July, it was tough, but I took long babysteps w/ cardio and free weights, this is my 8th week now and I've done a complete 180, I'm running 4 days a week min 3 miles, I'm lifting weights that I was lifting in my mid 20's, I dropped back down to 34" waist, and my body weight is 200 flat, but the definition that I have gained is something else, bigger arms, bigger legs, lost my stomach and can start to see some abs, so I'm on the right track.
I had a pretty physical trail rescue last week during the heat, 5 mile round trip walk in w/ elevation change of 900ft, got done with the rescue and went to the rehab, the emts took my vitals and cut my loose immediately BP 132/74, pulse 104, felt like a million bucks, the rest of my crew had to sit for 30min and be monitored, so I'm happy and going to keep going with my routine.
Great job @kennyp2339 , sounds like you're on the right track. 👍

Well done! It feels good to have one's body back in tune. I've managed to keep my 25 lbs. from coming back so far. The real challenge will be making it through winter and the holiday seasons.
I'm looking to keep the weight between 197 - 200 so when the holiday season hits, putting on 5 to 7 won't matter much and I can lose it fast before the next big meal.

Tonight I was suppose to start back on the treadmill for a 12 or 15 minute session but that won't happen until tomorrow. I'll start out doing 3 sessions a week and see how that goes.

With the work in the woods, the treadmill and keeping my calories down per day, everything should be fine.........just have to stay away from snacking at night.

Reactions: begreen
I had my physical last week and actually lost 5lbs! Even better, the pinched nerve I've had since March is finally letting up! It seems to be 80% better. Flexibility in that area isn't back yet, so there's still inflammation, but hopefully its better by ski season.

You all sound like your doing good but with all your work especially you wlands would not you think you would be lighter. At your age Kennyp it is much easier to lose the weight (at least in my experience) glad you are trying to keep on track and its sounding good. The weather here is today about 80 or so degrees and nice last night about in the 60's---(I guess)...Its been okay but its strange in the way of feeling like a short summer or something. Have not been keeping up with it only when I have to have some work done outside around the place--hoping at that time --no rain for the workmen. As you know me could go into the conspiracy aspects of it all but let this slide for now. Happy to see you are all doing well and surviving another summer--now its firewood time--oboy and I will light my stove this year when the time is right...lol...Keep up the good weight loss jobs..clancey

You all sound like your doing good but with all your work especially you wlands would not you think you would be lighter. At your age Kennyp it is much easier to lose the weight (at least in my experience) glad you are trying to keep on track and its sounding good. The weather here is today about 80 or so degrees and nice last night about in the 60's---(I guess)...Its been okay but its strange in the way of feeling like a short summer or something. Have not been keeping up with it only when I have to have some work done outside around the place--hoping at that time --no rain for the workmen. As you know me could go into the conspiracy aspects of it all but let this slide for now. Happy to see you are all doing well and surviving another summer--now its firewood time--oboy and I will light my stove this year when the time is right...lol...Keep up the good weight loss jobs..clancey
Actually this summer being very wet here in the east, it has kept me inside more so I'm happy with my weight.

The old true teller said 199 this morning. I'm still eating wraps with lettuce for lunch or supper most of the week and then we'll have a nice meal later in the week.

I did start eating m & m's at night with a few glasses of milk, when the weight almost hit 204, that chit stopped about two weeks ago.

I'm finding I weigh around 152 at the end of the day and 150 first thing in the morning after I pee. Highest I have gotten to is 154, but I shed the extra 2 lbs easily by trimming down calories for a day.

I won't put up all my results but my LDL in 2022 was 131, 2023 it's 113. My HDL in 2022 was 74, 2023 it's 84.

2023 CHOL/HDL RATIO​

Value

2022 CHOL/HDL RATIO​

Value

Reactions: begreen
201.4 this morning.

I did about 100 miles of backpacking for two weeks starting about 2.5 weeks ago. I suspect I weighed less at the end of the backpack but we had a couple of days rained out where we made up for some of the calories eating at restaurants. I got home and saw a weight I havent seen for 20 years. Now the goal is to keep it there during the fall and winter and even go for another 10 pounds into territory I have not seen since college.

One of the things about backpacking is you can eat as much as you want, you just have to carry it ;) 12 miles a day and about 4000 feet up and down means it is really not practical to eat enough to offset the calories expended. For 6 nights I had an extra 12 to 14 pounds of food in addition to my gear and my share of the group gear. Luckily there are still fresh veggies at the farmers markets for another couple of weeks but after that it is a challenge to avoid a heavy carb diet going into the fall.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out "what works for me"...I do know that too many carbs is a
huge problem for me. If the carbs creep up, my joint pain comes back. My shoulder and knee
both have 'issues' and carbs make them ache like crazy. Generally I can keep my carb count
to less than 20 grams/day and it's working for me. I really really REALLY miss popcorn and
donuts! But they honestly aren't worth the pain. I'm down 50# so that's a bonus. Another
40 to go.
"I'm not where I wanna be but it's better than where I was!"

p.s.--Lifting weights is a big thing for us ladies over 60...strong muscles make life much
easier AND healthier!

I'm still trying to figure out "what works for me"...I do know that too many carbs is a
huge problem for me. If the carbs creep up, my joint pain comes back. My shoulder and knee
both have 'issues' and carbs make them ache like crazy. Generally I can keep my carb count
to less than 20 grams/day and it's working for me. I really really REALLY miss popcorn and
donuts! But they honestly aren't worth the pain. I'm down 50# so that's a bonus. Another
40 to go.
"I'm not where I wanna be but it's better than where I was!"

p.s.--Lifting weights is a big thing for us ladies over 60...strong muscles make life much
easier AND healthier!
Nice work on the weight loss, keep it going.

Reactions: ispinwool
The scale said 200.8 this morning but that will change tonight after having a nice meal.

October through December is a tough time for me to keep the weight down due to birthdays, anniversary, and holidays. I have bounce off of 4 lb weight gain recently, but am able to correct course in a couple days after.

October through December is a tough time for me to keep the weight down due to birthdays, anniversary, and holidays. I have bounce off of 4 lb weight gain recently, but am able to correct course in a couple days after.
Yesterday I was 200.8 but after a nice meal last night the scale said 205 this morning. Hopefully I drop 3 pounds by Saturday.

Weight w/o height means nothing.

I'll be 52 in Feb. and weight about 218ish @ 6'5" tall (with shoes). I was a toothpick growing up and ate like a pig well into my 40's. I'm no longer a toothpick and more of a fat-azz these days in comparison though. I'd like to be under 200lbs.

I'm back at 200.8 this morning, with some pasta and a steak for dinner tomorrow, I'm looking for a weight under 200 on Sunday morning.

6' 1 "

I started the month off at 201.4, this morning I tipped the scale at 199. The wife is cooking a ham with raisin sauce and mashed potatoes for supper tomorrow, that will taste good.

Next weekend will be a new Gnocchi dish we've never made, it should be good.

FYI for many dieters, the change in clocks tonight is the start of a tough season. Its usually the start of seasonal affective disorder season where the short days can trigger the body to start getting ready to "hibernate". Most folks start craving carbs and with the short days and lower temps, physical activity goes down. Add in the holidays and its recipe for weight gain. I know I try to ramp up daily walks and get out in the sun and make sure I try to avoid the many temptations for extra calories. Once the snowpack gets established then I usually ramp up my activity by snowshoeing but its still a hard stretch until late mid January.

Yeah, snowshoeing is tough without snowpack. Mud shuffle isn't even fun the first time! I haven't been snowshoeing in a few years. I got the kid hooked on xc skiing and we've been doing that. Its a decent balance of huffing it up hills and getting to go for a ride down them!

Maybe I'll pull the snowshoes out and shuffle around this winter. I'd just bought a new pair of Atlas' after my old ones broke a binding.

I have a 1 mile trail that I break out across my woodlot and then onto a trail in adjoining town forest land to great view. Its about a 930 foot elevation gain in the one of the snowiest towns in NH. It can take me a couple of days to break it out after a big snowstorm. Once I break the main trail out I usually descend along different lines through my woodlot. I know it real well in the winter but in the summer its more a jungle.

200.4 this morning, we'll see what next Saturday brings weight wise. Since Thanksgiving isn't far off, I'll set a goal of 197 or 198 just before.