Weird experience with sassafras?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Littledog

Feb 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
So I’ve only ever burned good hardwoods. I ended up getting my hands on a bunch of sassafras, I cut, stacked, and split back in Feb. Internal moisture is now 18% and very lightweight. I loaded the stove and it seemed to burn ok. Until right before it got to the coaling stage. It will hold as a big black chunk and do nothing, like it’s got nothing left in it to burn. Had to put some cherry in so it would turn into coals. Is this normal with softer woods??? I suppose I’ll have to mix it with my other stuff to see if I have a better experience with it

For me it burned down normally. Well. No coals, as normal with softwoods.

Did the draft stall because it didn't put out enough heat into the flue at the end of the burn (leading to a fire that stops, leaving black leftovers)?

For me it burned down normally. Well. No coals, as normal with softwoods.

Did the draft stall because it didn't put out enough heat into the flue at the end of the burn (leading to a fire that stops, leaving black leftovers)?
That’s a good point. Maybe what happened since there was more smoke than normal when opening the door. Also not that cold yet to produce the best draft. For insight I’m using a Napoleon s25 insert with a 23 foot insulated liner

Yes, draft stalls earlier in relatively warmer shoulder season temps.

Insulated 23 ft sounds good.

Do you have CO detectors?

As mentioned above, you might have experienced a stove stall, it happens when the air equilibrium is just about perfect, things will get better once it gets cooler, also at least for me, when I burn soft woods I need to have at least 5 pieces in there because they kinda work off each other when burning.

Reactions: Littledog