Weird Fireplace Size and Poor Condition Chimney - What are my options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usaf.mob

Nov 1, 2023
Cleveland, Oh
Hello All,

I recently moved into a home with an existing wood-burning fireplace. While having it cleaned, I was told it was in disrepair and that I shouldn't use it for fires until I get it repaired. The repair cost is $8,575. I haven't considered repairing it because I never wanted to use it as a wood-burning fireplace and am considering gas options. I'm in the middle of essential home improvements and don't have a $15K budget for this project.

The size of the fireplace is making it difficult to find a ventless insert. The opening is 44" wide and only 32" tall. I've been told that inserts that wide are typically much taller as well. So, I've been offered 34-36" options, which would result in 4-5" gaps on the sides. The fireplace itself is large, so having a smaller insert and black shrouds on the sides is not a solution that I want to pay thousands of dollars for.

I'm avoiding direct-vent options because of the high cost and likelihood that I will run into the same issue with having a much smaller box than the opening.

Another option that was mentioned was to use ventless gas logs in the fireplace and have the chimney sealed/blocked for safety reasons. This seems like the best to utilize the fireplace as it is. My two concerns are what needs to be done to close off/seal the chimney so I meet any code requirements, and how long I can run it per day. I work from home in this room and spend most of my day there. I will likely want to run it for more than 4-6 hours.

Am I missing an easy or obvious solution?
Are there any gas log systems that can run 8+ hours? I'm not concerned about moisture because of the size of the room and the high ceilings.

I appreciate any assistance!

Vent free units save you money in 2 ways. 1 is they are 100% efficient. 2 is you will not live as long, therefore saving heat.👎
Go with a fireplace insert, vented with 2 liners up the existing chimney.