Weird issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
I have an older avalon insert in my fireplace. A few weeks ago i had a run away issue and i got really hot. Well took it all apart gave it a good cleaning and had an inspection done on it. They said everything looks good. So last night i had my first fire in two weeks. i notice i had to run it hotter than i was before to keep the same flue temps. It takes more air and bigger flames than before if that makes since. the only thing i changed was a few new fire bricks and a new peace of kwool on top of the bricks by the flue connection and a real good cleaning. it keeps throwing me for a loop because i will look and think man that to hot so i go to check it and its not hot enough. lol . i aslo have tried a couple different inferred temp guns to check it and the all say the same. what did i screw up lol thank you

Also i check the temp in the same spot of the liner. For the last two yeas allways the same spot with a infarred thermometer. Should i be checking different locations

Did it clean your chimney out?
yes i cleaned the chimney and the stove out. i removed all the fire brick and replaced the insulation on top of the top layer of bricks. it just seem like the stove is hot and the flue temp were it normally would be 350 is like 250. i cant figure it out

Maybe something was out of alignment before. And now it's not.
thats all i can think of. when installed it 2 years ago i installed all new bricks and the insulation was new also. now some bricks are new and i replaced the insulation now its like a different stove.

You say you are checking the temperature on the liner. Is the liner unpainted stainless steel? You are not going to get an accurate reading if it is. You are seeing lower temperatures now. is the spot where you are checking temperature cleaner/shinier after the good cleaning you just had? That will change your IR gun reading, I think. If the liner is shiny stainless, wait for it to cool and then spray the spot you want to check with some flat black high temperature stove paint. That should improve the accuracy of your temperature readings.

Reactions: stoveliker
As a side note... I have shiny galvanized steel on my walls installed per NFPA 211 to reduce clearance for my old stove. Using the IR gun, pointed just right at the galvanized metal, I could get a reading of 500+ degrees but the metal was cold to the touch. I was actually getting the reflected heat from the stove. That told me right there that taking IR measurements with my gun did not work on shiny metal.

I still have the metal on the walls, even though I don't need it with the new stove, because my wife likes the way it looks.

It is shiny stainless. But i did not clean it since its the outside of the liner it looks the same as it allways has. I will have to check into some high temp paint. Thank.you nothing has changed in the way or location i check the temp but the difference is confusing me lol

Last edited:
I will say my wood consumption has gone up because i have to burn it hotter to keep the flue temps in a good spot. But not sure how to correct the issue