Weird outlet wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Another thing that i have started doing is putting them in upside down. I do it for a few reasons, 1- that way I know I have grounded it and know what breaker it goes on and 2- it seems to me it is way easier to plug something in :)

This is actually commonplace on most of the commercial jobs I’ve seen around here, and always at hospitals. Idea is that if something falls on a cord and it gets pulled out slightly that a finger or metallic object is less likely to arc across the hot and common prongs. Same goes for safety while plugging items in. I think for hospitals/clinics it is mandatory due to oxygen flammability concerns.
I heard about a residential inspector here who wasn’t familiar with the practice that initially failed a house because the electrician (usually a commercial guy) put them ground on top.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
This is actually commonplace on most of the commercial jobs I’ve seen around here, and always at hospitals. Idea is that if something falls on a cord and it gets pulled out slightly that a finger or metallic object is less likely to arc across the hot and common prongs. Same goes for safety while plugging items in. I think for hospitals/clinics it is mandatory due to oxygen flammability concerns.
I heard about a residential inspector here who wasn’t familiar with the practice that initially failed a house because the electrician (usually a commercial guy) put them ground on top.
I may be mistaken, but I thought this has been in the electric code for quite some time.
But what do I know, only been doin this since '85.