Weird outlet wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They dont use those anymore for outlets . Only on light switches.
They're still commonly available. My local HD has 81 in stock. Leviton calls the feature "Quickwire".
From their documentation:
"To Quickwire™: Insert straight #14 AWG solid copper wires into round Quickwire™ holes. Quickwire™ terminals accept #14 AWG solid copper wires ONLY! For circuits with #12 AWG solid copper or copper clad wires, use terminal screws instead. If the receptacle must be replaced or rewired after Quickwiring, gently press the tip of a small screwdriver in the release slot and back the wire out gradually."

They dont use those anymore for outlets . Only on light switches.
I agree.. not an issue for true "15 amp" circuits. The problem gets created when someone plugs a window AC into a switched circuit.
In every case where I've seen them causing problems, the house had central HVAC.

New question for you all:

Outlet box screws obstructing switch

The screws in the outlet box are protruding into the inside of the box. I have a big smart switch that won’t fit with those screws poking through.

As you can see from the photo below, I can’t get to the screws to just back them out(screws are on the top and bottom).

Can I just file them down? If I can file them, do I have to make sure I get all the filings out so they don’t cause a short or something similar?

Thoughts or suggestions? I really don’t want to replace the box.

D8B6ED09-D0C6-4651-9E3C-B9C85CAC89E1.jpeg

New question for you all:

Outlet box screws obstructing switch

The screws in the outlet box are protruding into the inside of the box. I have a big smart switch that won’t fit with those screws poking through.

As you can see from the photo below, I can’t get to the screws to just back them out(screws are on the top and bottom).

Can I just file them down? If I can file them, do I have to make sure I get all the filings out so they don’t cause a short or something similar?

Thoughts or suggestions? I really don’t want to replace the box.

View attachment 272212
I had to remove metal boxes in my house and replace with remodel plastic boxes. Need to take a metal blade to the nails holding the box to the stud, carefully pull it out and make sure the box you get will work with the existing hole or make it bigger. Its a pain but needs to be done.

Looks like those screws are not being used in your application and are just sitting there loose. If so, they are unnecessary and can be modified or removed. Can you unthread them farther? Pair of needle nose pliers to turn them out?

Looks like those screws are not being used in your application and are just sitting there loose. If so, they are unnecessary and can be modified or removed. Can you unthread them farther? Pair of needle nose pliers to turn them out?

I'm going to try but because of the age I'm guessing they aren't going to turn out gently. That's why I was thinking of just filing them down.

I wish there was a small set of pliers that could just cut the ends of them right off.

Knipex are top of the line, and worth every penny.

Reactions: semipro
It looks like a cat was peeing on that for years while a welder was plugged into it.

• Haha
Reactions: brenndatomu
This outlet was in the house I bought a few years ago. Most are in the floors. This was the worst one. I used it several times, I think it was arcing.View attachment 272272View attachment 272271

Holy hell; I'm kind of happy that I don't have any in floor outlets, I'm sure this would be the result knowing the previous owners of my new house.

That even looks like a 20a outlet. Could do some good damage plugging something large enough in that deathtrap.

I often wonder how Previous Owners survived for so long in these houses neglecting so much.

Attachments

• 1611149417537.png
    1611149417537.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Eureka and mcdougy
fully agree with semipro. those back holes we in the trade call backstabs because they always come around to stab you in the back. every time i come into a house that has a few outlets not working and all the breakers are on that is the trouble. they still make them and as long as the big companies want them for a sales gimick they will be there. they are nothing but a fire waiting to happen. i even fired a guy for using them when i told him to not. i've gone into houses that the heat it was making transfered to the wall above it. as far as the outlets that the face comes off they still make them too. they are call Leviton brand. if i take one apart and look at the brand it's either a Leviton or 50 year old or older Hubble.

as far as that box goes you really are better off replacing the box with a plastic box. they have way more room in them. you not only can't get your device in the metal box but with those smart switches and receptacles and GFI outlets you have to worry about the wires that are in there. if you get them jammed in the box and it works it might fail later down the road cause a wire gets jammed and the insulation on the wire takes time to cut and short.

as far as that box goes you really are better off replacing the box with a plastic box. they have way more room in them. you not only can't get your device in the metal box but with those smart switches and receptacles and GFI outlets you have to worry about the wires that are in there. if you get them jammed in the box and it works it might fail later down the road cause a wire gets jammed and the insulation on the wire takes time to cut and short.
This reminds me...
A lot of electricians wrap the device (outlet, switch, etc.) with electricians tape to cover the connector screws before reinstalling it. I would think this to be much more important when using metal boxes.

This reminds me...
A lot of electricians wrap the device (outlet, switch, etc.) with electricians tape to cover the connector screws before reinstalling it. I would think this to be much more important when using metal boxes.
interesting as i have never seen that before... i can see the reasoning behind it but if thing's are done properly their is no need since boxes have more than enough room to install things

Reactions: fbelec
interesting as i have never seen that before... i can see the reasoning behind it but if thing's are done properly their is no need since boxes have more than enough room to install things
Yeah, they're wrapped as shown below. That photos also gives you some idea of why it might be helpful since you can see bare ground conductors that might contact the receptacle conductor screws covered by the tape. It's also good when you leave the wall covers off for wall finishing or painting as it could prevent shock.
Seems like a good practice to me.
The only downside I can imagine is possibly worsening heat buildup within the receptacle although I'd say you have bigger problems if that occurs.
1611343217121.png

yes a lot of guys do tape them. i don't i feel there is no reason to if it is done right. not to say i haven't done it, if i get there and find to many wires in the box or a typical in the kitchen with a 2.5 inch deep box and 12 gauge is not allowed in there in the first place and the ground wire is all over the box then i'll tape it. i do them live and have very little go wrong but when it does happen it a screw to the side of the box and the breaker blows doing it's job. if your receptacle or switch is hot then it's time for a change. even a 12 amp air conditioner the outlet shouldn't get hot. if the plug is warm keep a eye on it because it might need a receptacle change or the cord cap is on it's way out.

yes a lot of guys do tape them. i don't i feel there is no reason to if it is done right. not to say i haven't done it, if i get there and find to many wires in the box or a typical in the kitchen with a 2.5 inch deep box and 12 gauge is not allowed in there in the first place and the ground wire is all over the box then i'll tape it. i do them live and have very little go wrong but when it does happen it a screw to the side of the box and the breaker blows doing it's job. if your receptacle or switch is hot then it's time for a change. even a 12 amp air conditioner the outlet shouldn't get hot. if the plug is warm keep a eye on it because it might need a receptacle change or the cord cap is on it's way out.

I’ve popped breakers when using my screw driver to straighten the outlet in a metal box. Bad habit. No tape for wire nuts or wrapping outlets for me.

This reminds me...
I do it every time in metal boxes. Just a little extra insurance especially when doing them live.

Reactions: semipro
A few of my outlets and light switches had electrical tape on them and I have to say for the most part, the tape held up.

Regardless I didn't tape any. I ensured I didn't have much, if any copper exposed after installing the wires and carefully slid each outlet back into place. I can't imagine with how tight I made the outlets, that I will have any issues with things moving around in there and potentially causing an issue.

I will say I didn't do any of them live. It was easy enough to shut the breaker and I wasn't comfortable enough doing it to do them live.

i tape most of my outlets, especially since my house is so weirdly wired. I have have found at least 4 outlets are were double fed, multiples that have the common hot, and some that even had the grounds hot. I always try and turn off the breakers, but I still use a tester.

Another thing that i have started doing is putting them in upside down. I do it for a few reasons, 1- that way I know I have grounded it and know what breaker it goes on and 2- it seems to me it is way easier to plug something in :)

Reactions: Eureka