Weird random clicking noise from small inside wood stack.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
I have a small stack of wood I keep by my stove. This wood is ash and its been here since may, when I got my yearly delivery. For some reason starting last night there is a random clicking noise coming from it. Anyone got any ideas.... I thought I was going nuts till my wife confirmed it. lol

its not a chirp. Its a click. never heard anything like it from even my outdoor stacks. lol..... And wife confirmed i was nuts and there was a clicking. she heard it last night after i went to bed.

Reactions: ABMax24
its not a chirp. Its a click. never heard anything like it from even my outdoor stacks. lol..... And wife confirmed i was nuts and there was a clicking. she heard it last night after i went to bed.
Does it sound like this?

lmao no... this is just a random click every now and then.

Probably some kind of wood/bark beetle. Maybe EAB since you said it was ash wood.

I have a small stack of wood I keep by my stove. This wood is ash and its been here since may, when I got my yearly delivery. For some reason starting last night there is a random clicking noise coming from it. Anyone got any ideas.... I thought I was going nuts till my wife confirmed it. lol
Hmm - if you take out a kid walkie talkie do you hear all kinda odd whiny noises? Any crop circles recently near you? Any lights in the skies in major cities? Oh wait, that's the movie signs.
It's probably the emerald ash borer eating through the bark releasing the bark from the , whatever it is called.

Yeah i've heard some "noises " in the wood i've brought in and put next to the stove. Some bug for sure. They get burned up pretty quickly though.

Same here. A bit more "scratchy" than "clicking" but for sure bugs as it came from within the splits.
I did not try to eat them after they were roasted.

I’ve wondered how long the EAB can live after the tree is cut. You would think they would die after the wood starts to dry out.

The only noise I’ve heard from wood in my house was once there was a carpenter ant nest in the corner between the studs. This was right after the house was built, and the wood was still green though. The noise the ants made was a kind of scratching sound.

Ok so I now think its coming from the small stack of hickory next to my normal ash. I bought a face cord for my smoker. I brought 10-15 pieces inside to see if it seasoned faster int he dryer but cooler AC as an experiment. I also caught some on my voice recorder. check it out.

Attachments

• New Recording2.wav
    199.6 KB
There ya go.
I was warning about hickory on another thread. My hickory was infested with bugs and the sticks were all covered in white powder, and weevils in the bark. I was scared to let the bugs have free rein in my log cabin, so would bring an arm load onto the porch. I only brought it in to the house one piece at a time and it went straight into the Jotul. PITA. And I had 4,000 pounds of hickory.

I know hickory has a great BTU rating but no more hickory for me.

It won’t let me listen to your recording for some reason. But regardless, if the wood is making noise I would put it outside. There’s some kind of bug in the wood.

You are probably bringing some insect to life as the firewood heats up next to the stove. Maybe a larval or an adult stage. Maybe the clicking is a mating ritual - if so you probably have a single lonely adult insect searching for their significant other. Maybe bring in more sticks of Hickory so this true love can happen?