Welder’s Gloves just as good as Fireplace Gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Wood said:
Flatbedford said:
Got Wood said:
New HF opened up nearby. Stopped in yesterday to poke around and found a 3 pack of welders gloves for $7.99

Where's the harbor freight store? I didn't know there was one anywhere near me. I think fireplace gloves are juts welding gloves that are priced a little higher.

The new store is in Poughkeepsie, Route 9

I looked it up. Just trying to get an idea of where on Rt 9. What is it near? North or South of the mall?

Flatbedford said:
Got Wood said:
Flatbedford said:
Got Wood said:
New HF opened up nearby. Stopped in yesterday to poke around and found a 3 pack of welders gloves for $7.99

Where's the harbor freight store? I didn't know there was one anywhere near me. I think fireplace gloves are juts welding gloves that are priced a little higher.

The new store is in Poughkeepsie, Route 9

I looked it up. Just trying to get an idea of where on Rt 9. What is it near? North or South of the mall?

Its maybe a couple miles north of the Gallaria mall, basically across the street from the Pok IBM plant.

How long are you all getting out of a pair of welding gloves?

Mine seem to shrink, shrivel up, and start looking like a weird monkey paw after 6 months or so. But I do get them right in the firebox pretty often.

PNWBurner said:

Mine seem to shrink, shrivel up, and start looking like a weird monkey paw after 6 months or so. But I do get them right in the firebox pretty often.

I'm on year 2 w/ basically no wear on my welding gloves from lowes.

Are you getting yours wet? Water is hell on leather gloves.

pen

+ 7 or 8 (or whatever we're up to) on the HF welders gloves.

Using gloves, I can move and place hot logs with complete control; as opposed to struggling with awkward tongs and tools (and the possible damage to $300 ceramic glass).

pen said:
PNWBurner said:

I'm on year 2 w/ basically no wear on my welding gloves from lowes.

Are you getting yours wet? Water is hell on leather gloves.

pen

No, I don't get them wet but I do grab burning splits with them. They really work pretty well for that. I got mine from HD so maybe that's the problem ;)

GAMMA RAY said:
I like my welder's gloves, they are keeping the hand's safe, but I'm lookin for them in pink. :lol:

I have no problem with that. Real men, secure in their masculinity, can wear pink - no problem.

PNWBurner said:

Year 3 . . . right handed welding glove looks almost new . . . left handed welding glove however could be replaced as it has a small hole or two in the first layer of leather.

madrone said:
I weld and have many pairs of gloves, and I'd think that any set of MIG gloves would offer enough protection. That said, I still don't understand what everyone is doing inside their stoves. I've never had any gloves anywhere near my stove and have only really gotten one decent bite from the stove. I'm guessing top loaders might want gloves, and maybe those who load E/W and have to move logs into the back? Why are people needing gloves?

Burns hurt.

One thing to think about is that these gloves must have asbetos (or something) woven into them in order to make them fire resistant.

I notice that when I've got my gloved hands in the fire box and pull them out, they are smoking. The smell of that smoke is not of firewood - something else - probably the material that the gloves are made of. I don't know what it is but I try to avoid breathing this smoke for fear of it causeing long term carsonagine risk.

Remember, we use HF welding gloves for something they are not intended. If it turns out that smoke IS a cancer hazard, HF, in court could state that the product was misused.

Just my thoughts.

Gases Plus, or your loca lwelding supply, is often cheaper on welding gloves than HF, and much better quality. Locally I can get Tilman gloves for about $3/pair; they work well. Long ones are a bit more but worth it if you also use them for welding. And they have slide-on sleeves that look like dr's scrubs, but are great to keep sparks from burning your arms (or clothes) when welding / torching / playing with stove.

I have no problem with that. Real men, secure in their masculinity, can wear pink - no problem.

True indeed! Real men, like 800# gorillas, wear whatever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.