Well here is my Jotul FC3B installed:)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
I will post more pictures of the whole process when I can download them off my camera, but for now, here are a couple small ones from my phone. I still need to make a sheet metal cover to slip behind the stove and hide the fireplace opening. And I need to put trim around the hearth but other than that, DONE!

To any of you that read my previous posts about having two offsets in my chimney, I bought a pull cone and the liner when in in about 15 minutes. Piece of cake thankfully:)

Just finished my 3rd break in fire and so far so good. I didn't use any furnace cement on any of my pipe joints, and I do have a few very small air gaps here and there. But it seems as though my draft is quite good and I've not gotten even a whiff of smoke. So, unless anyone has better advice, I think I'll be happy with it the way it is.

Attachments

• Photo-0526.jpg
    Photo-0526.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Photo-0527.jpg
    Photo-0527.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,421
I love enamelled stoves. And I think Jotul leads the parade when it comes to them.

I love the color of your stove and I like the background tile. Lovely installation, all around. Could you use durock to fill in the fireplace opening and use similar tile to cover it so the "patch" was less noticeable, thus allowing the lovely stove to take centre stage? angling the cuts of tilles to fill in the arch could be done by making paper patterns and transferring them to tiles of the same material. Wet saws are easy to use and you might even be able to do it with one of those "score and cut" jobs".

I know many of the regulars are too "manly" to get into the aesthetics of stoves but as a "girl" who works in the home dec. trade let me assure you that aesthetics are important, too! Esp. if you want your wives/GFs to become actively involved in stove operation. While blue wouldn't "work" in my home, I would put a Jotul in my home, too. Nice work.

nice looking stove and congrats on getting done with the install. These stoves throw great heat for their size.

looks good to me. wish i got a enameled version. oh well.

Thanks everyone:) I'm like a kid with a shiny new bike. I can't stop playing with it and staring at it.

Today I'm settling in and seeing how she likes to run. It's a little warm for that really but I can't help myself. Bermuda shorts, sunglasses, sun screen, and a cold beer......yep, I'm all set for a night on the couch. Ha!

Very, very nice !!!

I was playing with the insert last year this time :) Go easy on your wood, you'd be suprised how quickly you can make a dent in it !!

Woo Hoo! Finally got her done! Very nice setting for the stove. It looks great.

Thanks BG. Hey can you tell me a little bit about the burn habits on your F3 please? It's a bit warm here and I'm using mixed hardwood that is well seasoned, 30' flue, etc.

It seems to want to hang around 375-425 wether I use large or small splits and even a small round or two. I haven't seen a secondary burn yet(at least not out of the burn tubes). I'm leaving primary open until it's hot and then have played around with backing it down to half and even all the way shut. It doesn't seem to make much difference.

By the way, I loaded the stove last night with a few medium splits and a 4-5" round in the back, went to bed and seven hours later I had enough of a coal bed that the stove started back up on it's own. I was rather impressed. AND I had accidentally left the primary wide open. Weird huh?

The stove should definitely want to go higher temps during secondary burn. Around 400+ degrees (stovetop) secondary burn should start being noticeable. Is the startup air control closed? (I never used this, left the door slightly open instead).

Does the stove respond at all to the primary air control setting? After the fire is fully engaged you should be able to back off about 50% on the primary and the secondary show should commence. If not, it may be good to pull off the cover over the air control (doghouse) by removing the two bolts, and assert that the air control handle is actually moving the air valve slider.

The start up air is closed. I too, just leave the door cracked. And yes, the primary air does effect the fire. It gets it ripping along nicely, but no secondary burn even when I get it above 400. It's definitely got me scratching my head.

Was the top removed from the stove during installation?

Yes I did, but I remembered you saying to make certain it's aligned correctly. I should try moving the thermometer around to see if it's even all over. Should I expect the same temps everywhere? It seems that the center knock-out stays a bit cooler though(at least it seems to cool faster than on either side)

Still worth checking to be sure the flame pattern is even across the stove and that the top is exactly parallel to the dentures on the side casting. If air leaks via the top gasket, the stove will perform wrong. You can see this by pulling off the top (stove cold) and looking for soot build up. If it's there, then there is an air leak in that area.

Let her rip and get the stovetop to 500+ and then shut the primary down to ~3/4 closed. You will see secondaries. It's an awesome little stove.

Be green, I'll pull the top again and look for soot.

Myzamboni, I haven't been able to get it past 450 yet and then, only for a few minutes.

Also, my stove didn't come with a manual(long story) but there was an extra gasket that's very thin and is the exact length to fit around the flue pipe. Where should this go? I'm not getting any outward leaks of smoke, but perhaps I'm getting too much air being drawn in from somewhere?

So I pulled and reseated the top. That may actually have been part of the problem. After that I have gotten my last two loads in the 475 to 550 range. The hotter fire did not give me a secondary burn but the 475 fire did give a partial secondary burn. I had blue flames in half of one row of the burn tubes. I suppose that's better than nothing.

Bobbin said:
I know many of the regulars are too "manly" to get into the aesthetics of stoves but as a "girl" who works in the home dec. trade let me assure you that aesthetics are important, too! Esp. if you want your wives/GFs to become actively involved in stove operation. While blue wouldn't "work" in my home, I would put a Jotul in my home, too. Nice work.

Not that these manly men can't defend themselves, but in the interest of fairness I have to say I've seen many pix of gorgeous installs on here, and at least some of them were generated by the guy-os, and they're quick to chime in their admiration on a fine install. And most of the females hanging around them have sense enough to operate the stoves as an alternative to being cold, esthetic install or no.

That having been said, +1 on the stove and install--you must be over the moon! Have you looked online for the manual? I've found one for mine there . . .

Congrats!

snowleopard said:
Bobbin said:

Not that these manly men can't defend themselves, but in the interest of fairness I have to say I've seen many pix of gorgeous installs on here, and at least some of them were generated by the guy-os, and they're quick to chime in their admiration on a fine install. And most of the females hanging around them have sense enough to operate the stoves as an alternative to being cold, esthetic install or no.

That having been said, +1 on the stove and install--you must be over the moon! Have you looked online for the manual? I've found one for mine there . . .

Congrats!
The manual is available on the Jotul website. Jøtul F 3 CB Product Page.

The installation looks great!!!! ....I'm jealous!!! ;-)
Ed

Enjoy the 3cb, I have one too and like it. Get her really hot and it throws off a good amount of heat. I don't see my secondaries going all that often but than I usually am not looking for them. I just keep an eye on that stovetop temp. I usually run it 475-550*

Status
Not open for further replies.