Well, I am officially a wood scrounger...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite scrounge area is the DPW brush drop off. Typical Saturday morning: I take a swing threw and see what is there. Usually within a 1/2 hour my small pk is brimming with hard wood. IF I ever wanted pine I could pull cords out every weekend. I have been there when people are casting away their entire wood piles. Or tell me there is more where that Last time came from. I have a network of spies that tell me where wood is sitting. Contractors leave piles for me usually cut to 16". In 30 years of wood burning, I have never paid for wood. Thats about 150 cords free. Right now, even after the heating season, I will have 11/12 cords ready for the next year with more gathered as time goes on. Five cords a year with 2 years ahead ,leaves extra for real cold years and plenty of time for wood to dry. Then there is the 9000 acres of state land acrosst the street. Enough dead oak lying on the ground to heat this entire forum indefinitely. I can fill my large pickup on almost any day, within an hour and half, with side tool boxes it approaches a cord.
Mostly dry seasoned I cut to 16" oak ready for prime time.

Oil delivery man came today, its been a while since his last trip first of Dec. He topped of the oil tank a warping 97 gallons, Mostly used for hot water. No stoves running on this sunny day, passive solar radiation, its 78 up stairs and 70 down. Got to close those insulated curtains now. The day's heat is done.

I've fetched a few car loads recently of 4' to 7' long logs that the state has been clearing off the main road near where I work. I figure once its cut, split, and stacked I'll have about a half cord. There has been some longer stuff that I can't fit into the car.

The last time I got some was at lunchtime and a bunch of people I work with saw me and started harrasing me about it. I told them that if I don't take it, someone else will (someone else got the jump on me a few times), its state land so it dosen't belong to anyone, so why not? But from making a scene I did get one woman who said, "I've got a whole bunch of wood on my property from fallen trees that you're welcome to cut up and take. The state also left a whole bunch in my yard that they cut up after the floods." (we had some serious flooding in south western NH last fall). It sounds like I'll be able to get a fair amount out of that too :)

I'm not worried about it rotting, I'm worried about it just lying there. Damm shame!!!

Warren,
It is nice wood i would hate see to that..burned about a cord of honey locust this year.And a few standing dead out bak.. burns nice...

I tried that freecycle thing...got a lot of hits. Most were not cool, wanted trees cut near houses. But one guy had 4 acres I could access. Mmmmmmm freeeee wooooodddd. I now have WAY more wood standing than I can even cut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.