Amazing what a letter can do!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big problem with the employees getting paid to cut firewood for themselves. I'm not sure what should be done with the wood, maybe they should cut it up and auction it off to the highest bidder.

And when these inequities get pointed out, that's often when they decide it's simplest just to take the stuff to the dump. You would not believe the things my county literally throws away, because they couldn't find an equitable way to dispense of them since people were getting ridiculous about it.

pen

Reactions: Scols
have a big problem with the employees getting paid to cut firewood for themselves.​
I can't imagine that there are too many people, if any, that disagree with this statement. But in all fairness, there is nothing that suggests that town employees are cutting their firewood while on the clock.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
uh-oh. You may have opened up a can of worms here.
What are you going to do when you come home from work someday and there is a couple tri-axles' worth of willow, ailanthus, sumac and basswood laying in your driveway?:eek:!!! <>.

Reverse phsycology........something to ponder!!
I will take that wood and sell it! Lol :)

Just a quick follow up.....ANOTHER LOAD WAS IN MY DRIVEWAY WHEN I GOT HOME TODAY!!!!! THIS IS AWESOME...:)
Hopefully tomorrow will be the 3-bagger!
Lord know's what would happen if I showed up at a Town Board Meeting!

Western NY politics at ALL levels is filthy. Prolly more so than congress No one got in trouble gauranteed. A muni or county worker here can practically commit mass murder at a convent and get away with it.
Mary told Mark to make this guy go away and he did.
Finally someone who understands the political stench of WNY Politics. Been this way for over 45 years.

I'm all for you going after that wood if there are crooked politics involved. That alone is a game-changer.

I just hope they don't dump a bunch of poison ivy-infested junkwood in your driveway.......keep us posted!

Just a quick follow up.....ANOTHER LOAD WAS IN MY DRIVEWAY WHEN I GOT HOME TODAY!!!!! THIS IS AWESOME...:)

Now I'm really wanting pics and an id thread

If its good stuff, u definetly owe them some food and beer my friend

Finally someone who understands the political stench of WNY Politics. Been this way for over 45 years.

Oh hell, you had crooked politicians to work with and your wrote 13 letters!

That information gives more solidity to my box of joe / donuts recommendation.

Could have saved yourself a lot of time, just sayin' :p

pen

So township fuel, township employee(s) on the clock loading and delivering....
Good to see all the other taxpayers in your town have to pay to heat your house, congrats!

I spose, that's one way to do it.

Here's another:

71886_10151628939218238_1810768237_n.jpg

pen

I am with Pen !

Pete

Reactions: dzych2
I have a big problem with the employees getting paid to cut firewood for themselves. I'm not sure what should be done with the wood, maybe they should cut it up and auction it off to the highest bidder.
This is somewhat the same feeling I have. except they should make it available to the taxpayer.....delivery is pushing it

I have a big problem with the employees getting paid to cut firewood for themselves.

But that's not really what they're doing. They're clearing highway right of ways, dumping the wood at a designated staging area, and then taking it home later. I doubt they are roaming the town looking for trees to cut and heat their house with. If the town was looking to purchase a firewood processor, then I'd get suspicious.

I'd have a bigger problem if they weren't allowed to take the wood home themselves. The whole, "it has to go in the grinder 'cause it's not fair to pick favorites" mentality is equivalent to, "If I can't have it, nobody can!" How old are we, really? :mad:

I don't think they should disallow town residents access to the wood, that part was a bit iffy. But first come, first served sounds fair. ==c

Auctioning off the wood isn't worth the administrative expense, this is government after all. ::P

I get paid to cut trees that a golf course wants removed. They're either dead, hazards, or obstructing normal play. I am a regular part-time employee there, not a contractor. I get to fell, limb, buck - with their equipment if I so choose, and haul the wood back to a staging area where the superintendent and I split and load the wood into our vehicles for our own use. The splitting is done on our own time (he's salary anyways) and the owner is fine with it so long as he didn't have to pay a tree service to do it.

Jack Straw said:
This is somewhat the same feeling I have. except they should make it available to the taxpayer.....delivery is pushing it

Government should be out of the picture all together. Should contract out to local tree services. Would be more efficient.

Reactions: Trilifter7
I find it funny that the OP has a grip with the workers getting the wood, if they're also taxpayers they have as much right to it as he does following his logic. I pay taxes I deserve wood to be delivered to my driveway.....blah.......

Reactions: gyrfalcon and Scols
The problem is where do you draw the line? If the town workers are removing old steel guardrails can they take them home and sell them for scrap? We would all agree no, but they can take home firewood and possibly sell that? We have this problem where I work and there are no easy answers. To properly dispose of some items costs so much more than what they are worth. If you don't properly dispose of items it looks very bad to the tax payers.

Jack Straw said:
Government should be out of the picture all together. Should contract out to local tree services. Would be more efficient.

Contracting is only more efficient if it is done right. It's easy to sway bid decisions to friends or family or to those putting a little cash under the table, if you don't have written procedures, documentation, oversight, and review of the process.

Be careful what you ask for!

Instead of asking for deliveries of wood why not ask the supervisor if they can designate an area in town where the crews can drop off log lengths or rounds. Then everyone in town gets a shot at free wood instead of just the squeeky wheels who think public workers are their own personal wood service.

Instead of asking for deliveries of wood why not ask the supervisor if they can designate an area in town where the crews can drop off log lengths or rounds. Then everyone in town gets a shot at free wood instead of just the squeeky wheels who think public workers are their own personal wood service.
Liability issues will prevent this from happening.

Reactions: Thistle
Status
Not open for further replies.