Well its time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flammam

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2007
Western, Ma.
The control board on my 1992 Austroflaam integra got wacked by a power surge last night. I have been thinking of replacing it next season so I am looking for suggestions for a new/used stove. Requirements will be auto ignition, thermostat enabled and a decent sized hopper and ash pan. It will be heating a split ranch 1100 sq feet. i will also be selling the Austroflaam and a few spare parts i have to go along with it.

Reactions: Ssyko
Just curious if it was on a surge suppressor?
+1, was it? Surge suppressor is a helluva lot cheaper than a new brain box.

Asking cause we just had a major power grid surge here in my area, Not weather related..Not an Act of God. Power company, yup..

Don't that make the provider liable for any failure related to their power surge?

Don't that make the provider liable for any failure related to their power surge?
Yes, I have the forms getting estimates, receipts and pictures ready. I did OK compared to others.. Don't mean to hijack this thread but surge protectors are important for almost everything plugged into an outlet..

PECO power company in Pa covers up to 1K Max Regardless of Damage...that goes 4 your 5K fridge with touchscreen tv, grubhub and doordash Apps...

Screenshot_20201127-043222_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious if it was on a surge suppressor?
Yes it was, blew through the suppressor blew out a couple led light bulbs also

Whoa, that’s one helluva power surge

Do you know what the Austroflamm was rated for BTU, around 42K ??

Do you know what the Austroflamm was rated for BTU, around 42K ??
40K Its a great stove just needs a new motherboard.

Maybe a Harman P43, 50 lb hopper, basic stove but works. These may look similar: Harman Allure50, 92lb hopper. Enviro Maxx 130lb hopper, will probably be more than enough.. Just some ideas

Just to sanity check, are you sure it was actually a surge suppressor, and if so, not some cheap dollar store or walmart brand like Hypertough? Or just a power strip? Any decent surge protector should have come with some sort of connected equipment guarantee to cover any losses should it fail to do its job.

Flammam said:
Just to sanity check, are you sure it was actually a surge suppressor, and if so, not some cheap dollar store or walmart brand like Hypertough? Or just a power strip? Any decent surge protector should have come with some sort of connected equipment guarantee to cover any losses should it fail to do its job.

Anyone ever file a claim?

Surge suppressor. The same one I used on my satellite systems for years.

Surge suppressor. The same one I used on my satellite systems for years.
Good, besides the stove and bulbs, were other protected devices not affected???
So have you considered any replacement stoves yet?

Last edited:
Battery charger for my cordless stuff in the garage. I am seriously considering the Comfortbilt HP22N with the 26% federal tax credit its under 1800. 80lb hopper, big ash pan and thermostat compatible. It will be a step up from the Austroflaam convenience wise. I cant complain i ran more than 140 tons through that stove the only thing I replaced was low temp switch and auger motor.