Well water pressure tank & pressure switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
I need a little help with our well pressure tank. First its a a small tank maybe 3-4 tall about 18" -22 wide. The tank is about 25 years old or so. The pressure switch was replaced about 4 years ago. What is happening is the pressure build and holds at 50 psi you turn something on it drops fast and holds around 25 psi. shut of the water builds right back up to 50 psi and shuts off. So do you think its the pressure tank or switch or both? Thanks

Press the shrader valve on top of the tank in. If water comes out, the pressure tank is shot. Sounds like the tank is bad based on your symptoms

Reactions: Swedishchef
The above applies if the tank has a bladder in it. If no bladder, just add air. If you press the valve and no water comes out, you might get away with just adding air to the tank. IIRC, you need 2 PSI more than the lower PSI setting of your switch. There's a ton of info on the web about this, just search.
Yours is a classic example of a tank without an air cushion.

The above applies if the tank has a bladder in it. If no bladder, just add air. If you press the valve and no water comes out, you might get away with just adding air to the tank. IIRC, you need 2 PSI more than the lower PSI setting of your switch. There's a ton of info on the web about this, just search.
Yours is a classic example of a tank without an air cushion.
I think its actually 2 PSI less than the low switch setting.

Sure could be, working from an old memory here. I hope the OP goes online to check.

I assume this fixed the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.