Went up on the roof today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FWWARDEN

Dec 1, 2008
West Windsor, Vermont
So after burning four cords of wood so far, I finally climbed up on the roof to take a look down the chimney. First look at the cap showed it was covered in a thin coat of a hard black candy shell of creosote, I was thinking oh $#!+. So I took off the cap and looked down, the chimney had less than a 1/4" layer of fine airy stuff that broke into coffee ground type pieces. I started cutting my wood supply last April, and the last cord I burned wasn't split until July, so I know my wood did not get the optimum drying time. Is that a reasonable amount to have in the chimney after four cords, considering the seasoning time of the wood? I'm thinking with the black chimney cap, I must have went through more than a few charges of not so dry wood.

The cap is uninsulated and the coldest thing the flue gases come in contact with. The gases are mixing with cold outside air when they do come in contact with the cap. I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like you are burning fine.

My 6 inch 25 ft chimney is about the same as you describe after a year of burning. I top down brush and get about a 1/2 quart of small black chips / coffee ground material. The cap, with 1/4 screen didn't make it half a winter before it was plugged and backing up smoke into the house. The screen has been history for 8 years, and no problems. My yearly cleaning, I find the inside of the cap is dripping wet gummy creosote. It's sitting on top and is just to cold. I burn almost all oak, hot enough to keep the glass clean. Friends who have multiple bends and outside chimneys have much more issues with build up in there chimney than I do.

Tom

Thanks to this website, I ran my chimney inside, and straight up. I definitely think that has helped in spite of my not totally seasoned wood. I got ahead of the game for this year though.

I cut and split most of my wood about May of last year, some I didn't get split until late in the summer. I have burned between 1.5 and 2 cords so far. I cleaned my chimney once on Dec. 29th and then again on Feb. 7th, I got about a cup and a half of creosote both times.

syd3006 said:
I cut and split most of my wood about May of last year, some I didn't get split until late in the summer. I have burned between 1.5 and 2 cords so far. I cleaned my chimney once on Dec. 29th and then again on Feb. 7th, I got about a cup and a half of creosote both times.

Amazing how little breaks in the weather allow for timely cleaning...

Status
Not open for further replies.