Went with the red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodspliter

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2020
Maine
Looks like I found a little honey hole. Went with the red oak today. Looks like They are cutting the whole road so I'll have plenty of opportunities

Attachments

• 20200208_122720.jpg
    20200208_122720.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 20200208_122945.jpg
    20200208_122945.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 347
Nice score, nicer dump truck!

Good God! What a haul. I am green with envy.
Tell you what, drive the next truck load down here to North Carolina and dump it in my yard.

It's the father in laws truck the ol'79 Chevy C10. Going to have some great scavenging opportunities in the next few weeks to come. Think I have next year almost covered going to season up that red for the next couple years. The harman is finicky with the oaks and other really dense woods. I like to have some softer stuff to build the coal bed faster.

Great score and fantastic wood!!

Looks like I found a little honey hole. Went with the red oak today. Looks like They are cutting the whole road so I'll have plenty of opportunities

Takes a long time to season properly but well worth the wait.

If you have the room to keep it stacked go back every day and pile it all up. Cut and split it later. Nice truck!

Nice score get it all.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Nice score, see you have snow up there, we're bare ground in southern Mass.

Yeah its been pretty cold and freezing rain here in Maine. Hopefully this weekend they will drop the trunks, this haul was mostly the branch would they must use different crews for the ground work

CMP and Emera are under a lot or pressure to up system reliability after years of underinvestment in trimming. I expect they are going to be dropping a lot of trees along powerlines over the next few years.

Love the truck. Nothing like the feeling of killin' it gettin' when the gettin's good

They're doing a lot of trimming in my area and there's tons of wood on the side of the road, I no longer have a truck, thanks to a big deer and its killing me. Might be time to get a new truck.

They’re doing a lot of trimming here in NH too the past week. Not a whole lot of oak because it doesn’t typically grow on the roadside here anymore. Lots of maple and ash though. Kills me every time I drive by it! I need to invest in a good trailer for the old Jeep!

I need to invest in a good trailer for the old Jeep!
Yeah, I've been hauling a 5x8 trailer with the old LeSabre. I'm trying not to load too much weight onto it, to preserve the tranny, but it's still a pretty good way to get a bunch of wood if it's close and you and can make an extra trip or two, and can drive slow.
Jeep should handle it better than a car, I'd think..

Reactions: heavy hammer