We're buying our first pellet stove sooon...what would you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my Harman Advance. Accountant told me because I bought it used no tax credit but think I only paid $1,100? A few years back.

I was audited by the IRS this year, and one thing they looked at was my energy tax credit. I bought my stove used off craigslist. No receipt, but i did have the canceled check. No problem, the deduction held. No penalty.

Here are the specs...

1. We want it soon (yes, it's cold)
  2. We have a fireplace in the living room and can install it there but eventually we want to set it up right in the family room but we do not have the patience to wait for an install right now so we will probably put it in the living room and use the masonry there to vent it. We know that a chimney liner will be necessary and we can install that. We will move it after the season is over so it needs to be a free-standing unit.
  3. We have a wood stove insert in the finished basement so we only need to heat around 2000 sq ft (open floor plan with a small second floor - 2brms)
  4. We were looking at used units but we can't mess with units that need repairs right now. We are very mechanically inclined though and are not afraid to service the unit ourselves.
  5. We would like a hopper that could get us through 48 hours at a slow burn because we go away overnight occasionally.
  6. We can pick up a unit if necessary
  7. We are in CT
  8. We know that we need pellet storage - not a problem
  9. We're willing to buy a refurb if it has a warranty
PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!! Husband wants to order a unit from Lowes or Home Depot but I'm not sure we would get a quality product for the money. I know that TSC, BJs and Costco sell them also.

Thanks!!
Dee
Hello Dee! I was looking around and I ended up getting the new Harman 52i... and will have 4 tons of the Barefoot brand of pellets delivered at the same time. I understand that people (and Harman) say those stoves can burn any type of high/low grade pellet, but I'd rather burn the better pellet for what the darn thing is costing (delivery, installation, chimney liner, etc.).

Have you selected a stove yet? What were your results?

J

I'd get a wise way pellet stove ,no electricity, no parts ,minimal cleaning,
Mint....

Just wanted you all to know that we are in pellet heaven with our new Harman Accentra. We waited it out for the professional install and it was worth it. Our kids are amazed that our house is so toasty warm. And she's a real beauty.

Happy Holidays!
Dee Can
Hey!
Just wondering if you went with TP in New Milford for your professional install? If it was, just wondering what you thought of the whole process. We have someone from TP coming over tomorrow - wondering what to expect and if they are the right people to go with. Not many Harman dealers over here!
I was going to PM you but I wasn't able to for some reason :)
Meg

Hey!
Just wondering if you went with TP in New Milford for your professional install? If it was, just wondering what you thought of the whole process. We have someone from TP coming over tomorrow - wondering what to expect and if they are the right people to go with. Not many Harman dealers over here!
I was going to PM you but I wasn't able to for some reason :)
Meg
Hi Meg!

I did go to the TP in New Milford and was treated nicely and honestly! (the other stove place across from the high school, well, lets just say I was sensing a touch of double speak). The TP will be performing the installation and delivering the 4 tons of pellets (or whomever they contract with) - I would not want to install anything like that incorrectly :O I know the TP has been around for a very long time and from what I can sense, they are totally on the up-and-up so have no fear. Also true about not many Harman dealers around here!

Not sure why the PM didn't work - please try again - I'd enjoy hearing around your experience since my installation is still pending for another week or so...

Here are the specs...

1. We want it soon (yes, it's cold)
  2. We have a fireplace in the living room and can install it there but eventually we want to set it up right in the family room but we do not have the patience to wait for an install right now so we will probably put it in the living room and use the masonry there to vent it. We know that a chimney liner will be necessary and we can install that. We will move it after the season is over so it needs to be a free-standing unit.
  3. We have a wood stove insert in the finished basement so we only need to heat around 2000 sq ft (open floor plan with a small second floor - 2brms)
  4. We were looking at used units but we can't mess with units that need repairs right now. We are very mechanically inclined though and are not afraid to service the unit ourselves.
  5. We would like a hopper that could get us through 48 hours at a slow burn because we go away overnight occasionally.
  6. We can pick up a unit if necessary
  7. We are in CT
  8. We know that we need pellet storage - not a problem
  9. We're willing to buy a refurb if it has a warranty
PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!! Husband wants to order a unit from Lowes or Home Depot but I'm not sure we would get a quality product for the money. I know that TSC, BJs and Costco sell them also.

Thanks!!
Dee
Number 5 will put most inserts out of the running as most have a small hopper for fuel. Most Box stores are selling the cheap variety that you will see advertised on Craigs list.by people who found out after the fact that they should have taken a little more time with their selecting. I would suggest a Harman P68 because you can turn the heat down if it is to big plus the fact that you can buy a extra hopper for more capacity so you can be gone for a while without coming home to a cold house.
The time and money you spend trying to use your fireplace could be better spent making or buying a Hearth pad and making a small hole in your wall for the exh pipe to go through. In reality it is pretty simple to cut a hole in your wall and do it yourself . Just read the directions in your stove manual and measure twice before cutting the hole.

Number 5 will put most inserts out of the running as most have a small hopper for fuel. Most Box stores are selling the cheap variety that you will see advertised on Craigs list.by people who found out after the fact that they should have taken a little more time with their selecting. I would suggest a Harman P68 because you can turn the heat down if it is to big plus the fact that you can buy a extra hopper for more capacity so you can be gone for a while without coming home to a cold house.
The time and money you spend trying to use your fireplace could be better spent making or buying a Hearth pad and making a small hole in your wall for the exh pipe to go through. In reality it is pretty simple to cut a hole in your wall and do it yourself . Just read the directions in your stove manual and measure twice before cutting the hole.
I was planning on the P68, but after taking a few measurements, that model would have been overhanging the hearth by two+ inches... but I totally agree on the larger hopper (and ash pan!!) capacity of it. I'm not that handy that I would have trusted myself with punching a hole in the wall (not sailor-proof enough) - but at least I will be able to hide that rather large and unsightly fireplace opening ... plus putting an end to the draft that comes with it. I chose my particular Harman because because it had the largest 'insert' hopper and the ash pan was larger than most as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.